Safari, Quicktime and Finder windows crashing, help!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bdesign7, Jan 20, 2006.

1. bdesign7 macrumors member

bdesign7

So today my powerbook G4, 15", 1.5ghz running 10.4.4 decided to start acting up. Safari is crashing, Quicktime is crashing, and worse, finder windows are crashing, not all of finder mind you, just windows every now and then. I've not installed anything new since the last updates. Any ideas?

2. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

open up console in the utility directory, what are the error logs saying? Also, what are the precise error message you are getting?

3. bdesign7 thread starter macrumors member

bdesign7

For Safari and QT it's saying "QT (Safari) has closed unexpectedly. Would you like to send a report" For finder it said nothing. The error logs are saying crashdump [1567] : Finder crashed, the numbers go up, and of course says either Safari or QT in place of finder for them. It then says it wrote a crash log, so I checked that. Here's an example of the last couple in finder log:

0x96a72000 - 0x96a91fff com.apple.vecLib 3.1.1 (vecLib 3.1.1) /System/Library/Frameworks/vecLib.framework/Versions/A/vecLib
    0x97297000 - 0x972a4fff com.apple.agl 2.5.6 (AGL-2.5.6) /System/Library/Frameworks/AGL.framework/Versions/A/AGL

That means absolutely nothing to me, unfortunately.

4. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

repair permissions, update prebindings and rotate your logs.
    This can be done using System Optimizer X. Then see if it works.

5. bdesign7 thread starter macrumors member

bdesign7

Hmmm...that worked a bit, but I found another culprit, Flip4Mac. I forgot that I had installed that, and apparently it was causing the problems. So I deleted it, ran optimizer, and no more problems. Thanks!

6. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

You must have been runnng Flip4Mac version 2.0, which had a known conflict with Quicktime 7.0.4

The current version of Flip4Mac, version 2.0.1, resolved the issue