Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seasurfer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2007
My Safari always quit unexpectedly. At least once a day. Do you have similar problem?

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
My Safari always quit unexpectedly. At least once a day. Do you have similar problem?

Yes, it happens way too often. Already once today, and I think twice yesterday.

It's not always on the same website, and it's not always during the same type of use.

I do notice that it does happens if a page is loading, and I decide I'd rather look at a different page (via a bookmark) in the same tab during the load.

I hope all the reports that I've sent to Apple will help them to better stabilize Safari.

seasurfer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2007
Nah. Is it always on the same site(s)? Do you have any third party plugins installed? What version of Safari and OSX do you have? :)

I just got 1 more unexpected quit again today. Safari is really unstable.

I am using the latest version of everything.

I have plugins installed like most people do. Which plug in do you refer?

Tygernoot

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2003
Brussels
It happens to me sometimes on a news site that uses flash. Safari gets stuck for a few seconds when loading the page (usually spinning beach ball) and then crashes. Doesn't happen a lot, but it seems to happening more since the 10.5.1 update though.

Also Safari crashed at least once a day on my girlfriend's mac (still in 10.4 though). I then reset Safari (plus removed all cookies and other stuff), repaired permissions and it seemed to be working a lot better again.

Safari still seems a bit crash-prone but overall the stability is OK enough to work with it. I even use it now on my windows PC as well :).

silbeej

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2007
I'm getting it a lot on my 10.4.11 update. Also Mail and some other OSX standard programs have done it since the update.

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
I find it crashes a lot more when visiting sites that have flash videos on them, however even this seems to be a lot better since the last update.

Before the last update Safari would crash at least once a day with me, now it barely ever does.

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
I just got 1 more unexpected quit again today. Safari is really unstable.

I am using the latest version of everything.

I have plugins installed like most people do. Which plug in do you refer?

Speed Download is definitely crashy; Saft, SafariStand, and several others have all been known to cause problems as well. Basically, if it's in the InputManagers folder, it's under at least a little suspicion.

bingefeller

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
Northern Ireland
Hmm, I'm using Safari 2.0.4 on OS 10.4.8 and I have no problems. I mostly use it to play pool on Yahoo and sometimes for browsing and I don't have any extra plug-ins or anything like that. Maybe you could try deleting the preferences file or repairing permissions.

GSMiller

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2006
Kentucky
It happened to me last night while playing Yahoo! Literati. It said it was caused by the Flash Player plugin, so it was probably one of those stupid flash ads :rolleyes:

DIE FLASH, DIE!!!

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
Yes, Safari does crash once a day it seems if not more depending on what sites I go to.

Upgrading to Leopard was a great idea but Safari's instability is shocking and annoying.

SilverSpy

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2007
Everytime I visit myspace with safari it closes down automatically! It's pretty stupid I think

decadentdave

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Since installing the latest update to Firefox last week, it crashes at least 2 or 3 times per day and I have to restore my session. Annoying. Never had this problem before the update.

BlakTornado

Apr 24, 2007
Washington, OH
Happened to me when loading Engadget's RSS on Safari 3 for Tiger. It sucked. Badly. ALL the time. I could rarely look at it.

That said, it still makes Safari hang and sometimes crash when I try to read it it now that I have Leopard... I guess it's just a HECK OF A BIG RSS feed. (Anyone else experienced this!?)

iCeFuSiOn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2007
I've never noticed this on my machine running 10.5.1, Safari 3 has been rock solid even on multiple flash pages with several (read: 10-20) tabs open, and I close them, open a new tab group, or just close the window or quit the program entirely and it's never once crashed. Do you have any Safari add-ons installed?

awbazar

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2008
Scottsville, NY
Safari quits predictably...

I was initially amazed at the rare incidents of crashes when I started using OSX 10.3.9 Now that I cast it off to run OSX 10.5.1 I encounter at least a half dozen crashes on Safari. Safari on OSX 10.5.1 is a total disaster.

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
I get it all the time on my MacBook when I load a site with a lot of AJAX (digg and Facebook mainly) or when I have more than 9 tabs open...

it really is a pain in the butt, but safari 3 have a cool feature to restore the previous session (under the history menu)

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
Sure it occurs on my end. I don't really care so much. There was speculation that it eats up RAM the longer it is open. So I like to close it for a break anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.