Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unknownx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2011
I googled this and noticed this problem already existed before - but I never found a solution..

I only notice the problem when watching youtube videos, When I swipe back on my mouse to go to the previous site, It reloads the current page instead.. So i need to swipe back Again to make it work..

I tried disabling all extensions, incl AdBlock but the problem didn't go away.

Coming from Chrome i wanted to give the new Safari a shot instead.

Any fix for this?

* Also wondering how to make Youtube videos Autoplay? I have to press play on every video

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
There's probably an element on that page that considers it to be a different page, if you understand what I mean. It happens to me too sometimes, but only on certain sites.

As far as YouTube autoplaying, not sure about that, because it plays just fine for me.

nobodyjustwalks

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2013
I googled this and noticed this problem already existed before - but I never found a solution..

I only notice the problem when watching youtube videos, When I swipe back on my mouse to go to the previous site, It reloads the current page instead.. So i need to swipe back Again to make it work..

I tried disabling all extensions, incl AdBlock but the problem didn't go away.

Coming from Chrome i wanted to give the new Safari a shot instead.

Any fix for this?

* Also wondering how to make Youtube videos Autoplay? I have to press play on every video

Wow...going to have to thank you for posting this. Iʻd noticed the double reloading issue as well, but didnʻt think it was a big enough problem to bother looking for a solution. Quick aside...but Iʻve noticed that between Chrome, Firefox, and Safari, Firefox seems to be the quickest at showing previous pages when swiping to go backward...but I digress.

Reading your post made me realize it might be Adblock causing this problem. And the reason I say this is because I have both Adblock and Adblock Plus, and Iʻve been testing them both on Safari (not at the same time, itʻs always one or the other). Both are comparable in terms of performance. Anyway, reading your post, it dawned on me that I wasnʻt seeing the page reload issue in Youtube when watching videos with Adblock Plus installed. However, when I switched to Adblock, itʻd reload the same page twice before allowing the "swipe gesture" to take me back to the previous page.

As far as the technical reason why this might be happening? Iʻm not a developer, but Iʻd guess it has something to do with how the extension functions in order to block ads and render webpages.

I know you mentioned that you disabled Adblock and the problem still persisted, so this post might not be a solution, but I thought Iʻd mention it anyway. Iʻm not seeing the issue reoccur while using Adblock Plus in Safari.

unknownx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2011
Thanks for the tips of AdBlock Plus...

It's strange duo...

I got the problem with AdBlock and without it - Then I installed AdBlock Plus and it finally solved my problem - But AdBlock plus didn't block all ads on other sites like AdBlock did..

So i activated both AdBlock and the AdBlock plus, And NOW everything works like it should for me :)

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
YouTube seems to have made some major changes to its page loading. I noticed this when I clicked on a video once, it showed a red progress bar at the top of the site and loaded the video dynamically rather than opening/loading a new page. This behaviour interferes with the back gesture on Safari and Chrome, as you never ‘left’ the site you were on, but the browsers still record the dynamic loading as events you can go back to. The response is naturally confusing.

However, this new page loading doesn’t come up all the time, only sometimes. So I presume it may have something to do with AdBlock indeed. Perhaps YouTube reverts to the old method if a particular script is blocked by AdBlock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.