safari resets to homepage when i leave and return

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ryman, Nov 27, 2005.

1. ryman macrumors newbie

often, if i click away from safari to another app, then click back (e.g., i click away to choose a new song in itunes and then click back), safari has closed all my tabs and defaulted back to my homepage. i'm not closing it by accident, and the problem doesn't coincide with any recent upgrade or download i can think of... safari just likes to reset to my homepage if i leave (maybe it's jealous of the other apps?)
    any ideas?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Crazy. Any weird hacks installed on your Safari? Maybe trash the Safari preference file and reset Safari from the Safari menu. The preferences are aptly named com.apple.Safari.plist. :)

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

By "click away," do you mean that you close the Safari window by clicking on the little red button on the upper left corner? Well, if you do that, then Safari necessarily will revert to your home page when you return it. There is no need to "click away." Just click on your other app's icon in the Dock.

4. cvalda macrumors member

I believe he means he clicks on the other app, just as if you have iTunes open you just click on it and then click back on Safari to keep browsing. It's the same thing as doing apple-tab, but clicking.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This is a question that your need to allow ryman to answer. Anyone with the sense God gave red brick would consider your scenario and dismiss it lacking additional information. Simply switching applications is most unlikely to cause the behavior that ryman is experiencing. However, it is a virtual certainty in the scenario that I asked about.

6. ryman thread starter macrumors newbie

cvalda had it right... if i click directly on another application's window (with safari still running, mind you), apple-tab to another application (with safari still running, mind you), or click on another application in the dock (with safari still running, mind you), safari gives away my seat at the bar, so to speak.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If this is the case, then you are probably the first to report this problem. Have you noticed similar behavior with other browsers or even other applications?

8. ryman thread starter macrumors newbie

not exactly the same problem, but i have been getting some weird glitches after going to tiger. i guess it's what i would expect after getting the first version of an upgrade. the good news is, forums like these help us non-techies a lot.

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

No, you should expect perfection. However, that is not going to happen. Therefore, you should be diligent. It is a really good idea to repair permissions before and after each update. I also strongly recommend that you don't modify your system--install haxies, delete standard files, that sort of thing--until you understand the system well enough to know what the heck you are doing.

10. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

One thing you can try: First, Export bookmarks (from the File menu). Then, Reset Safari... from the Safari menu, restart the program and re-import your bookmarks (but check first to see if they are intact). I'm thinking that you may have got a weird javascript thing loaded somewhere along the line and that Safari needs an enema to shake it.

11. plumbald macrumors newbie

Oh My God, after 3 years, safari finally resets to Google.
    I can not believe this is the first time i have discovered an answer! Thank you so much... Google search criteria: reset safari home page. It works, just export and import Safari bookmarks: boy do I have a lot of them. I finally decided to re-contribute to the global english forum mac tips and tricks safari home page reset community-- get it?