Safari RSS

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wrldwzrd89, Aug 6, 2006.

1. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

For a while, my RSS feeds in Safari stopped working. One day, I went to my local Apple Store, got a Windows on Mac demo and asked about the problem. The representative I spoke with said it was a bug and that I should report it. Then, some time after I returned home from that visit, my RSS feeds starting working again! I have absolutely no idea why, since I didn't change anything...

I'm obviously happy that the problem solved itself, but I'm curious if those events I mentioned are somehow related :)

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

How was it not working? Sometimes sites' RSS feeds go down so Safari doesn't respond to the RSS button, but that's obviously site-specific and not terribly common. :)

3. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

What was happening was none of my RSS feeds would auto-update and tell me if there was new stuff. Now, they behave as expected - right now, it's tellling me there's 20 new items (it never showed that before).

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Ahh, okay. Weird. Maybe it was a corrupt cache file or something and the periodicals cleaned it out. I guess we'll never know, but I'm glad it's all good now. :)

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Could also be a site-related problem, lots of places use feedburner to host their RSS feeds, they may have had an outage.

Don't know, just a suggestion really, I'm no expert on this stuff.

6. marcol macrumors regular

Thanks! I think you might be right. I've had the no RSS problem on my MacBook for the last couple of days and just ran all the system maintenance scripts (daily, weekly, monthly) using TinkerTool System. I then restarted Safari and immediately got an RSS notification. Could be coincidence I guess, but seems unlikely.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Awesome work. I don't think it was a coincidence. That's exactly the reason these scripts are run periodically. They're quite susceptible to becoming corrupt but the mechanism in place means it shouldn't matter for too long. :)

8. marcol macrumors regular

Just to add a quick note. I don't think my probelm was ever site-specific. I've the same RSS bookmarks on my MacBook and the iMac at home (bookmarks are synchronised via .Mac) and the iMac was updating fine when the MacBook wasn't.

9. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Good detective work, marcol and mad jew! Must have been a corrupt cache file, then. I should remember to try running the periodic scripts next time something like this happens.

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If you're on Tiger and you sleep your machine at night (as opposed to shutting it down) then don't worry about running them manually. :)

11. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Umm... I do neither. My Mac runs 24/7, never sleeping, primarily because I have an automated backup script that runs overnight every day. ;)