Safari screwed!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by johnnyjibbs, Nov 13, 2003.

1. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Hi there,

Just been playing around with a magazine coverdisc. Installed a program called "AquaSafari" that removes the brushed metal appearance from Safari (using Jaguar). Then when I launched Safari, no window displayed. So I then ran the uninstall program (also provided with it) that reinstates the brushed metal theme. Did that, and it still doesn't display a browser window.

Anyone know a quick fix to getting Safari back?

I have left the software restore DVD at home (am at uni) but the UK Apple site still has the Safari download link on it. However, if I install Safari again, not only will I lose all my preferences but what files would I need to remove first from my hard drive?

2. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Re: Safari screwed!

I believe if you re-install all your preferences are left in the /user/library/preferences/

Search your mac for all files with the word safari in them and make a copy if you are worried.

3. johnnyjibbs thread starter macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Thanks.

Thought I'd give downloading Safari a go. But it appears the link does not work. So I am going to have to get the software restore disk sent up. It's the DVD version, so I should be able to just install Safari (and not everything else) shouldn't I?

Looks like an upgrade to Panther is in order...;)

4. johnnyjibbs thread starter macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Ok, the installer did work in Internet Explorer, I was using Camino before.

I'm back on Safari now, but I had to delete all my preferences in the end because I couldn't get the thing to overwrite the corrupt Safari without completely deleting all its files.

That'll teach me not to mess with themes!

5. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

search for a program called safaricon. This program can successfully remove the brushed metal from safari. I am using it under panther so i asume it is still good under jag.

Look for it on VT