Safari: seperate windows collapse to tabs?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by qtip919, Jul 27, 2005.

1. qtip919 macrumors 6502

Does anyone know if there is a way to take your open instances of safari and collapse them into a collection of tabs on a single open safari windows?

2. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

good question; unfortunately I don't know the answer.

I was actually trying to do this earlier today but couldn't figure out a way to make it work. I hoped that I'd be able to drag a tab from one Safari window to the other, but that didn't work...

3. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Not automatically (that I know of)... you'd have to create a new tab in one window, drag another window's URL into the new tab, and repeat for every window.

Maybe a faster way would be to drag all the windows' URLs onto the desktop, then select all the .webloc files you just created and double-click them and they'd all open in tabs if you have Safari set to open new URLs in tabs.

4. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I second that. I've wished for a way to do this before as well and have not found one. If anyone knows, please share!

5. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

If you do this make sure you have Safari open in the background or you'll get a load of Finder errors.

AppleMatt

6. qtip919 thread starter macrumors 6502

Encouraging to hear that this is not just a problem that I suffer from

I guess the main thing is to get better "tabbing" habits...

Im starting to get better, but after an hour or two on the computer, I somehow seem to get 8 or more safari instances...

The main problem that I am discovering is that the "Option+Tab" key combination does not show all of the safari instances and hence there isnt a really easy way to "key"-jump from window to window (I see that you can right-click safari on the dock and switch to the instance you want)

Anyone else have a clever way of dealing with this?

7. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I've got Saft installed so I don't know if this is available with "Safari Lite" or not. But you can do what you want by going to "Window" and selecting "Consolidate Browser Windows" or using the shortcut Ctrl-Command-C.

8. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

You can scroll through your open Safari windows by pressing command-` (above the tab key, this shortcut will work for other applications too :) )

Or you could of course use exposé (F10) to reveal all the windows you have open in that application.

9. qtip919 thread starter macrumors 6502

SAFT --- PERFECT!

Ahhhh....

works flawlessly!

What a great tip...five gold stars for you ;)

Just curious, anyone ever try dragging items into the tab area to create a tab?

I have a bunch of bookmarks and I currently just right-click and select 'open in new tab'...ho hum...

10. pubwvj macrumors 68000

pubwvj

That would be really handy. I would also like to see Apple implement a "Save all the tabs in this window" and "Reopen Safari in it's old state (windows and tabs)".

11. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Glad you likey :)

Do it all the time, it's very handy. Useful for checking dimensions of graphics as well, instead of pressing command-i. With Saft you can also drag tabs around to rearrange them.

To open a link in a new tab, hold down command and click on the link. If you visit the same sites as your morning routine say, you can put them all into folder in your bookmarks bar and then select "open in tabs". Safari will then open all the bookmarks in that folder in separate tabs.

Yup, good 'ol Saft will do that for you :)

12. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

There is a program called Witch that lets you use tab between every open Window like you are asking for.

http://www.petermaurer.de/nasi.php?thema=witch&sprache=english

There you go. :)

13. allisonv7 macrumors 6502

I have Saft, but for some reason the Command+Shift+C won't collapse the windows into tabs, I can do it Manually by clicking on "window", but I find it odd that the actual shortcut won't work. Any ideas?

allison.

14. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Cause the keyboard shortcut is ctrl+command+c :)

15. allisonv7 macrumors 6502

Ahh...now that works....your previous post must have confused me :p

allison.

16. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

He, he...my bad :eek:

Post now amended.