Safari slower since doing recent update

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ~Kat~, May 18, 2006.

1. ~Kat~ macrumors member

~Kat~

There was a recent update which I performed. Since then, Safari is quitting more often and is buggy. My computer in general is just slower. I'm having Windows flashbacks and I'm not jesting. I know with Safari, having too many pages open can cause it to quit but I've kept that to a minimum. Also, certain pages in Safari become frozen, sometimes for 30 seconds. Moving my mouse does nothing and it's not a mouse issue. Today for example, Safari quit 4 times. I had perhaps 3 programs open. I haven't downloaded any fishy e-mail attachments. The only thing I've done worth noting is purchase Path Finder which I've always felt slowed down my system although never to this extent and besides I had problems before I purchased it. I closed the program but the problem remains.

Is anyone else experienced this? I've never had such a problem on a Mac and after an update no less.

Any help would be much appreciated. I find it difficult to believe a program not in use could be causing so many issues.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If you create a new user account, is OSX (and particularly Safari) still chugging? :)

3. ~Kat~ thread starter macrumors member

~Kat~

Is there anything else I can try before adding a new account which I don't actually want? ;)

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, well have you reset Safari from the Safari menu? If that gets nowhere, then try the usual preference file removal by closing Safari, finding a file named com.apple.Safari.plist and dragging it to the Desktop. :)

As for general OSX speed, open up Activity Monitor in the Utilities folder to see if there's a process using up lots of RAM or CPU. Make sure you select All Processes from the drop-down list, and not the default My Processes. :)

5. ~Kat~ thread starter macrumors member

~Kat~

Thanks for replying so quickly. I have never done a Safari reset so I don't know how. Also, will a reset remove all setting and bookmarks etc. I'm fairly new to Macs so bear with me please.

I just checked the Activity Monitor (all processes) and the ones taking up the most usage are

To Do Trac 222 MB, 65 % CPU, 2.08 Virt. Memory

kernel_task 64 MB, 3.3 % CPU, 679 MB Virt. Memory

6. mac4drew macrumors regular

mac4drew

What kind of computer do you have? Some people with CoreDuos have been experiencing massive slowdowns after the recent firmware install. If you have a MacBook Pro or Mac mini Intel then run CoreDuoTemp and see if your processor frequency gets above 1000Mhz.

7. khisayruou macrumors 6502a

khisayruou

To Reset safari: In the menu bar (with safari opened) >> safari >> reset safari

Removing com.apple.Safari.plist will reset your preferences to deafult.

8. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

All things being equal, you shouldn't see any slowdown in 10.4.6 or Safari

What's this...To Do Trac 222 MB, 65 % CPU ???

If I had to guess (and I do :eek: ) it might be that you have a misbehaving widget in your dashboard. 65% CPU time for a To Do app, widget or otherwise, is way out of whack and that's probably the reason you're having trouble with Safari and the system in general. Looks like your CPU is gasping for air.

If it is a widget, close that widget and verify that the process (to do trac) is gone in Activity Monitor. Ditto is it's a standalone application.

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, I agree with VanNess, I think that's your problem so don't reset Safari or ditch that preference file just yet. :)

10. ~Kat~ thread starter macrumors member

~Kat~

It seems to have stopped. It's backed to normal. Thanks again for your help. :)