Safari Slower than Firefox?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by maclamb, Dec 17, 2004.

1. maclamb macrumors 6502

maclamb

2. superninjagoat macrumors 6502

superninjagoat

For me, Safari is slightly slower, but I've mitigated that fact with SafariSpeed, which gets rid of much of the one-second delay before Safari renders a page.

The Safari interface is slicker, and bookmark management is better for my workflow. So, for me Safari wins out.

But on the PC side, I use Firefox and love it. s.n.goat

3. Isbiten macrumors newbie

I use Firefox mainly because of adblocks without it I would be using Safari.

4. solaris macrumors 6502a

solaris

Safari is definatelly running slower than Firefox.
    Firefox lack some work on the gui, but the rendering engine is fast. A big thumb up to the extension support as well! :)

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i cant stand FireFox's interface, it just doesnt work for me, i love safari and i like the way it handles bookmarks too, so i guess ill stick with Safari for now, but i keep Camino around just in case

6. hob macrumors 68020

hob

Safari is slower, but I feel the exact same way - FireFox's interface is so yuk!

Hob

7. panphage macrumors 6502

Firefox is fast. Plus, safari has a wicked vile memory leak bug triggered by pages with tiled backgrounds. It's been around for a long, long time, and with every new release I hope they've fixed this massive, crippling bug. But it's still there. But even without safari freezing for 5-15 seconds on every page, firefox is still faster.

8. maya macrumors 68040

maya

I am in the same boat, I tried FireFox however I cannot stand it interface.Safari is so much better minimal, hope Apple gets back on track to make it excel in speed over FireFox soon. :)

9. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

I've been meaning to try Firefox, since Gmail only works in post-Panther Safari, but I've gotten used to Safari. Also, AOL webmail always gave me problems in the Mozilla-derivative browsers.

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

if you like safari give camino a try, its one of the best browsers out there, its faster than both safari and firefox, but im just waiting for some more features, like spell check

11. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Safari's GUI rocks, agree, it's a bit slow but I'm still working to get used to camino, it's just terrific... I have it beside to Safari on my dock. Spell checker, Hello? ....

12. urban1985_ macrumors regular

All my life I've used internet explorer. And when I switched, I used the same. I came across Safari because there was something internet explorer couldn't download for some reason. I've been using Safari ever since.

I tried Firefox after reading this thread, and like many say, I don't like the interface. It's not THAT much faster than Safari. For someone who've used IE his whole life, Safari is leaps faster lol.

For some reason, I can't access my school's personal student websites on Safari, so I use Firefox for that.

13. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

maclamb

thanks-
    what about the GUI of firefox don't you like? the washed out appearance? - not a biggie for me - sppe dis much better than safari - i'll try camino

14. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

Safari definately has the better interface. BUT. FIrefox is much quicker and has a reasonably decent interface, it also opens more webpages without a problem. So when it comes down to it, I want speed and compatibility when im surfing the net. Firefox is the way to go.

15. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Umm....Safari blocks ads too. Just press Apple+K when in Safari and it will start blocking pop-ups.

So start using Safari now! :D

16. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Hmm, me thinks you should give firefox a try and actually see what the heck ad block is. I'll give you a hint, it's not pop-up windows :p.

BEN

17. mcarvin macrumors regular

I would love a browser that was as fast (not only speed, but launch/responsiveness) as Safari, had the true Aqua UI of OmniWeb, and could use the Firefox extensions.

OmniGroup may implement AdBlock filter importing. If they could only make OW5 faster... :rolleyes:

18. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

What is ad block and how do you enable it?

19. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Adblock is an Extention. You can find these by accessing Tools > Extentions in your Firefox menubar. In the Extentions window there's a link where to "Get More Extentions".

Enjoy!

20. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

I got it however im still not absolutely sure what it does. Can anyone explain?

21. marcfiszman macrumors newbie

marcfiszman

http://www.floppymoose.com

22. mcarvin macrumors regular

AdBlock blocks banner ads and most images from ad servers. Basically, pages load much faster and aren't nearly as distracting when using AdBlock.

I do have a question here about a possible bug in AdBlock or Firefox. I've been having trouble viewing Versiontracker in Firefox. It's not a seriously big deal, but the large white area obscuring the main navigation can get annoying. I've temporarily disabled AdBlock, but it still occurs. There are some DIVs in their HTML which may be at fault, but I'm not sure.

23. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hello, PithHelmet! :) PithHelmet is the Safari equivalent to AdBlock. And since they are both ad-in packages, it really is apples-to-apples. ;) Safari can block ads that are in the page (as opposed to pop-ups) when using PithHelmet. I have mixed feelings about whether PithHelmet or AdBlock is better. Adblock seems to me to handle Flash better, but needs a lot more training. PithHelmet is probably much more usable by people who are not computer savvy than AdBlock, not that any of us fall into that category. ;)

And I like how PithHelmet ads a quickly accessible toggle item on the Safari menu right next to the pop-up blocker item, to turn it off temporarily.

But right now I'm using Firefox because I also use Win2k PCs at school and I wanted a consistent experience across all of them, so I installed Firefox on everything. But

24. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Do you mean the main navigation area in the upper left, with the tabs MacOS X, MacOS, Windows, .... and the sub-tabs such as Software Updates? It doesn't obscure on mine. I do get a blank space where the top banner ad, which is directly below, should be, with AdBlock enabled. But I didn't really see any impaired navigation. Maybe you have set the ad filter as too liberal, and you are losing some of the nav elements? Or else maybe I'm not loading the site with the right ad....does it happen every time you go there?

25. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I think the combination Firefox/Adblock is better. Though it requires some training. The decisive thing is the possibility to allow some sites the ability to open pop-ups, while with Safari it's all or nothing. Some sites, like protals and internet banks, depend on pop-ups. (Yes, I know that stinks!)

As to the topic: I think the difference in speed is minimal. Ok, so Firefox renders some pages a bit faster, but Safari has shorter startup time, so this is not why I prefer Firefox.