Safari Speed --- not!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jbrown, Jun 7, 2006.

1. jbrown macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Right,
    I'm on PB 1.25
    768mb ram
    Wireless Extreme
    4mb broadbands

Safari seems SLLLoooooow loading pages ( any ). What can I do do speed up purge Safari so its snappy again. When loading pages, Activety Monitor shows it using a lot of CPU.

cheers

2. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

When's the last time you quit and restarted Safari? When I used to use Safari (use Camino now), I found that that would help a bit.

Also, go to Home> Library> Safari> Icons and delete the stuff inside the Icons folder. I've found that to be helfpul as well.

3. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

I have tried to love Safari but the speed just stops me using it, if you like it as a browser try Shiira also as previously mentioned give Camino a try(my browser of preference;) )

ShadoW

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

There's an article on Musings from Mars that claims Safari is actually one of the faster browsers:

All The Lovely Browsers

5. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

That's just one article and it's not that great of a comparison since s/he doesn't even use the latest stable version of Camino, which is 1.0.1.

Actually, that person tested all the newest versions of all of those browsers except for Camino.

I've used Safari, Opera, Firefox, and Camino... my favorite, in order? Camino, Safari, Firefox, Opera.

Camino would be the best if they could implement the Mac OS built-in pop-up dictionary and spellcheck.

Attached Files:

6. jbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Thnaks all

I have Camino and Firefox...but truely like Safari, just it's getting sluggish....:(

7. jaxstate macrumors 6502a

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

If it's getting sluggish (and wasn't before), then clear you cache, quit Safari, and remove the contents of ~/Library/Safari/Icon/ as devilot said. That will help speed up Safari considerably.

Also, if you've updated the OS recently it may have included Safari updates and if you use Safari plug-ins that are out of date, that could also contribute to Safari being slow.

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

One person claims that Safari is fastest. Another swears that Camino is the speed demon. Still someone is convinced that Firefox leaves all others in the dust. We are left to believe that two of these people have to be wrong. Or, just possibly, are they all right? If this is the case--and I believe that it is--then the speed of your browser is dominated by issues specific to your setup. And because your browser speed depends more on you than your browser, arguments about browser speed are akin to arguments about your favorite dessert.

10. howesey macrumors 6502a

That's coming. Meanwhile, Gheko now has a spell check, newer Firefox builds have had them for a while now.

11. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    All the browsers listed above perform the same for me...actually Shiira would probably be the slowest if I had to pick....