Safari Squeaker

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by iGod, Jan 16, 2003.

1. iGod macrumors member

Just wondering whether anyone else has experienced this...
    my Ti800 frequently makes high-pitched squeaking noises when I'm using Safari:confused: especially when entering passwords or logging-in to sites.
    The noise sounds like internal machinery freaking out not audio from my speakers...and it's reminiscent of the grinding 'thinking' noise that hard drives make, but much louder and disturbingly high-pitched.
    It doesn't happen with any other programs or IE. Just Safari. And it's creeping me out.:(

2. Choppaface macrumors 65816

does it sound like it comes from near the top of the keyboard? I've noticed that what appears to be the graphics card in my 800 is very noisy.... whenever I scroll or open a drop down menu it makes a pretty loud low hum, and it also makes high-pitched sounds sometimes too....

3. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    my ti667 rev b does the same graphics card sound.

kinda like the old sounds from os 9, just pretty quiet.

i always thought it was just my weird machine.

interesting.

4. iGod thread starter macrumors member

Yes! Yes! Top of the keyboard, that's it. Near the right hand side. It's bizarre. I use Final Cut Pro and Photoshop and stuff and I've never heard it before...only recently with Safari...I'm just worried whether it's 'unhealthy' for my laptop...is something...gradually...breaking?

5. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Nothing here

No problems on my iBook 500. Must be a TiBook thing.

6. Goblin2099 macrumors member

I got a really high pitched squeek from my tiBook 500 a while back, but it went away after I did a clean install of 10.2...it sounded like feedback from the microphone, and it only happened when I'd open Chess (which uses speech controls) or other speech-related stuff that would turn on the mic. I figured it was a hardware problem until it was magically fixed by a fresh install. Doesn't sound related to what you're going through, though. If it's because of the graphics card, then no surprise I'm not getting it...us early adopters got stiffed with a pos gpu that can't possibly be working hard enough to let off noise

7. Choppaface macrumors 65816

so far I haven't noticed any problems, and I've used it intensively and the fans seem to do a fine job of keeping it cool. I'm not sure but it I think those pipes running over what appear to be heat sinks have liquid in them (well, I've seen this graphics card cooling attachment that uses similar looking pipes that are filled with liquid somehow) so I think it's pretty safe.... though it is kinda annoying when one is trying to write a paper in quiet he he

at least the hum of the hard drive sounds sweet :D

8. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i would call apple (if you're still under warranty), tell them about the problem, and see what they say. they'll probably tell you it's nothing, which would be good reference if it actually did go kaput after your warranty ran out, you could tell them you tried contacting them but they said bugger off.

i can't imagine any hardware, especially hardware that has no moving parts, that would make this noise without some harm being done... i dont know squat about graphics cards tho.

:)
    pnw