Safari still terrible in 10.4.2

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by alexf, Jul 25, 2005.

1. alexf macrumors 6502a

alexf

Just a quick comment...

It looks like Safari is still aweful after the 10.4.2 update. Under completely "regular use," the program often hogs nearly 270 MB of memory on my computer!

Has anyone else experienced this? What can I do (besides make the switch to Firefox)?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Gerg macrumors regular

I never experienced any real problems with Safari up until 10.4.2. Now, my poor Mac mini's fan start kicking into high gear whenever I am using Safari, and checking out sites like weather.com, or for that matter, just about any sites. Start doing some quick link-clicking, and the fan goes nuts!

Noticed it right away after installing 10.4.2.

3. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

May I suggest Camino? Fast, free, Cocoa, and with that yummy open-source aftertaste.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

My advice would be to learn something before posting any more "quick comments." What you are describing is not Safari's hogging anything. MacOS X built on top of BSD, a preemptive mulituser multitasking OS. The OS tries to maximize the use of memory. Unused memory is wasted memory. The bottomline is that Safari is behaving as expected.

5. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Under 10.4.2 for me, Safari is using about 60 MB memory. Do you have alot of tabs going or something? Multiple windows?

6. alexf thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexf

No, this is not true.

Activity monitor was showing that I had no free memory, and yet Safari was still hogging it.

Safari is hogging memory; that is the bottom line. Since you seem to think you know a lot, please explain to me why I did not have this problem in Panther.

7. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

About the same for me, with 4 tabs open... maybe he's running lots of flash intensive sites (or ads), that usually draws a lot of CPU, at least, at my machine (iBook G4@800, 640 MB RAM, 10.4.2), or has something like 2 GB of RAM...

Attached Files:

8. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Sites with a lot of flash and js and all that garbage do tend to push Safari into getting ~250 MB resident and not letting go, even if all windows are closed.

9. kjr39 macrumors 6502

Yes, mine does the same thing when I have a bunch of tabs open.

Do you find that you are swapping a lot when using Safari?
    How much RAM do you have?
    What other programs are you running?

FWIW, your computer will not release RAM to have any free unless it needs it.

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Still running Panther here at work.

Safari 1.3 is using 30.33MB of Real RAM, and has designated 192.17MB of swap for itself.. One tab, one window, no non-standard plug-ins.

Can you be more specific about what "hogs" means to you and what the impact is to you? Do you not have enough RAM to begin with? Seeing a lot of beachballs? Can you tell us more about your Mac's specs?

As previously noted, "Inactive memory" should be counted as "free memory", in addition to your labeled "Free memory". "Inactive memory" is memory set aside by the system as designated for application X, but it's not in use. If application Y steps up and needs more RAM and there's not enough in the "free memory" pool, the system will hand over anything application Y needs from the "Inactive memory" pool. How that clears it up for you..

11. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Hey, that "memory hog" you mention is nothing more than the expected way OS X works.

First of all, that "250 mytes memory" indication thhat you see is referred to Virtual memory, and not physical memory

Secondly, Every program will draw as much memory as possible from the system, to ensure its flawless operation. The fact that it draws such a large amount of memory is nothing more of the standard way OS X works. When this allocated memory will be really needed, it will be taken from Safari and will be given to the task that really needs it.

Thirdly, the fact that it draws such an amount of memory doesn't mean that your system will be slower. On the contrary, it will behave just the same, otherwise, this memory would never be allocated.

Proof: Have you seen any "Not enough memory" warnings? Ever?

So, don't worry. Your system is doing fine, so does your safari app. Relax and let OS X draw as much memory as it wants.

12. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Nope. 250ish MB real, 450+ MB virtual. Safari really does do that to a lot of people. And yes, it does cause swap delays when other big stuff is running.

13. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Maybe it's time for the OP to clean out his favicon cache?

My Safari v2 on 10.4.2 is going with 67.22MB RAM and 290.18MB VRAM.

No problems here.

14. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Me too. Perhaps there is a problem with your system. Safari uses ~50 mbytes physical RAM and 250 Mbytes Virtual Memory.

15. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

How do you find out what Safari is going with?

16. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Sorry, I don't know what you mean..

Memory-wise? Activity Viewer.