Safari stops loading all pages when I visit a graphic-heavy site...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by chiiyo, Apr 14, 2004.

1. chiiyo macrumors newbie

chiiyo

Hi... I'm sort of a newbie (celebrating my first month in two days time) and I've been having very little problems with my mac so far, but recently something has been cropping up when I surf the internet, and I was wondering whether anyone knows how to solve it...

Background knowledge: I have a 12" Alubook with Panther on it, and I connect to the internet via a wireless broadband network, where I share the connection with three other computers, but usually it's only one other computer, because my dad and my sis doesn't use the internet much. Recently, I realise when I surf onto a graphics-heavy site (like a webcomic page), or try to download stuff from versiontracker, Safari often stops loading all my pages. This doesn't happen all the time, and the only workaround I've been able to come up with is to clear cache and restart Safari. I've repaired permissions and even reset Safari, but the same thing keeps cropping up. It's really irritating, because I've not been able to read any webcomics since I've gotten my mac, and just today I tried to find a program in versiontracker and Safari just keeps messing up. In around two hours I've had to restart Safari five times to be able to download two programs...

I'm running bittorrent in the background, and I haven't tried viewing the pages with IE yet, so I don't know wheter it's a problem with my bandwidth (but my bittorrent hardly gets up to a very high transfer rate) or with Safari, or with my network, or with the mac. Any suggestions?

2. Santiago macrumors regular

I've had this problem since the first version of Safari, but much more intermittently that you describe it--maybe twice a week at its worst. It seems to have gotten substantially less common with newer versions, maybe once every two or three weeks. (I never quit Safari for other reasons.) While I have not been able to track it down precisely, it feels like certain pages with embedded Flash files are the ones that cause the problem.

3. chiiyo thread starter macrumors newbie

chiiyo

Ah. Is that so? So it's a normal problem with Safari? *blink* Thank you for your reply, although it didn't solve the problem, at least I know it's not due to other factors... But I wonder why it happens to me so often...

4. Nny macrumors regular

Nny

Disable the cache. You're on broadband, right? Forget the cache. Get Safari Enhancer and turn off cache.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/17776

For a little more speed go to Username/Library/Safari and empty the contents of the Icons folder, then make the folder Read Only. You'll no longer store favicons from sites, but it will make Safari more "perky."

Hope that helps.

5. chiiyo thread starter macrumors newbie

chiiyo

*scritch*

Thanks for the suggestion, I took both of them, and nothing's cropped up so far, but I still can't access any webcomics... I can live without them though, but thanks for the help... *smile*