Safari Sucks

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by apachie2k, Sep 7, 2006.

1. apachie2k macrumors 6502

apachie2k

why is safari acting really fast sometimes....and then reallly sllooooooow...it's so oddd?? can i clear something or change something to make it go FAsTA...i'm on a mbp 15" 2.0 ghZzzZ

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

are you on a wired or wireless connection? My wireless connection can sometimes go fast and sometimes go slow.

3. apachie2k thread starter macrumors 6502

apachie2k

i'm on a wireless at iona college, it's a fully wireless campus, and there are always 5 bars...so i'm pretty sure it's safari, i mean it could be there are more ppl logging into the network at certain times...

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

The strength of your wireless has no relation to your bandwidth speeds.

5. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Do you use any other Web browsers on the same machine? Do you experience the same problems with them?

6. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Don't be deceived by how many bars you have - that simply indicates how clear/strong the wireless signal is. This has nothing to do with how fast or slow your browser is - or, more accurately, this has nothing to do with the amount of bandwidth available to you. I wouldn't necessarily blame Safari. Test things out with a wired connection and see if the same problems occur - that will be a good test to determine what the real problem is.

7. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I've been a very strong supporter of Safari, but after trying Firefox today I must admit, it's much faster. So maybe try that...

8. thebeephaha macrumors 6502

thebeephaha

I think even IE 7 is better than Safari, its slow and its Java support is horrible... Firefox Beta 2 is where its at.

9. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

yeah safari ain't that hot. If KHTML were to just merge with webkit and apple would put a few more resources in that direction, then we'd get some sweet results.

Until that happens, I'm a firefox man. Wow the neweste Beta 2 of Firefox 2.0 for OS X really is great. LEAPS AND BOUNDS above the previous mac offerings.

10. chasingapple macrumors regular

chasingapple

Interesting you should talk about Safari in that way, I was just griping about Apple leaving us Panther users in the dust with updates! Why Apple WHY must you leave us flat with version 1.3.1 while the Tiger upgraders get 2.0+ with all the new features? Are you not allowed to support the last OS anymore Apple? It has not been that long! Hehehe.

Actually my iMac uses Tiger, but I use my Clamshell 90% of the time for my work on the go, so Panther is as far as I go with OS's. No fretting though, Mozilla has a fan with me and I am using Firefox 1.5.0.6 as of this writing. Beautiful browser and fully featured!

11. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

meh, I like safari. occasionally if its not handling a webpage well I'll switch to firefox, but I definitely prefer safari...

12. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Safari is lightning fast on my Mac. Certainly much faster than Firefox. No complaints about speed whatsoever here.

13. generik macrumors 601

generik

14. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I wouldn't be so sure - if it's a very weak signal there are likely to be a lot of lost packets & resends, though admittedly it'd have to be very bad before it would be this noticeable.

15. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Do you mean the application itself is slow to respond, or it's slow downloading?

If the former, ensure you don't leave too many tabs open. Even on a very fast Mac, leaving Safari open for a while with a lot of tabs will bog down your entire system badly. Also, quit and relaunch Safari as often as you practically can - it does make a difference.

If the latter, I'm not sure what you can do. Perhaps if your cache is bloated, that might be slowing things down - you can clear it using the "Safari" menu, but otherwise, I can't think of anything.

16. 7on macrumors 601

7on

BEcause you have to pay for more features. Apple does update Safari for older computers when needed. Back after 10.3 came out a bug was found in the Safari for Jaguar users (pre 1.0 I think...) and apple updated theirs.

17. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Safari has problems rendering some pages properly, let alone fast. Camino has reliability problems, Shiira is in beta and V1 works as badly as Safari, and Firefox on the Mac also has a number of issues the Windows versions doesn't.

This might seem crazy, but the best option seems to be to try all of them and see what works best for certain sites.

18. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I suggest that you download Menu Meters, you can find it on Version Tracker. Once you have it installed, turn on the memory meter and network meter. You'll see what the problem is. Safari has a problem running if you get low on memory, plus Safari has a minor memory leak if you go to a lot of Shockwave and Flash pages. Also, for some reason, Apple does not give network preference to Safari, so if you are using other network programs at the same time it will run slow.

TEG

19. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Personally, Opera 9 is even faster than Firefox, although Firefox sports vastly better compatibility.

20. steelfist macrumors 6502a

other applications can affect the performance. for example, make sure bittorrent dosen't use all of the bandwidth.

also, it depends on what site you use. newegg will make safari a bit slower than usual.

21. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Every actual test and benchmark comparing the major Mac browsers that I've ever seen show that Safari is not only faster than FireFox and all the other Mozilla browsers, but significantly faster. Opera too.

Sure, one browser might display MySpace faster while another displays eBay faster, but overall, Safari is the fastest hands down, on all Macs. Don't fool yourself into thinking a certain browser is fastest based on a single page.

I know personally I have used FireFox, Camino, Safari, OmniWeb, Opera, and even iCab extensively, and each one has pages where it seems like "wow this browser is so faster" ... but in reality it isn't on a majority of pages.

22. darwen macrumors 6502a

darwen

Firefox is good but it has its problems too. I dont understand why everyone keeps blaming their browser. Notice how everyone hates the bowser that is bundled? I see no problems with safari. I have never had a problem with it.

23. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Safari feels particularly fast on the intel macs.

24. freebooter macrumors 65816

freebooter

I've tried many other browsers, many times. I've always gone back to Safari. The other browsers are rejected by some websites, and have bugs. But Safari has never caused me problems. Any problems I have had have been caused by conflicting video plugins, due to updates.

25. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

As long as I can see the page, its good enough for me. I see no difference in rendering speed between my MacBook and my freinds Mini in Safari (not that I look, mind).