Safari SUCKS

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by reykjavik, Sep 4, 2004.

1. reykjavik macrumors 6502

Aug 31, 2004
    How can anyone think Safari is better than Camino? Its slower and it has so many bugs. Three main ones Ive come across:

1) eBay site fails to fully load and turns off the search feature. Sometimes I have to hit refresh 3 or more times just to do a search on eBay!!
    2) I often times cant respond on this forum, it just lags at a php page and goes nowhere. Even if I hit back and try again nothing comes of it.
    3) It wont fill in my username/password for my bank web site. Camino does it so it cant be the site's code. It wont even ask if it should remember my u/l for it.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is there a fix for this stuff? How come it never happens with Camino?
  2. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

May 6, 2004
    What's Your Favorite Posish

what system are you running it on?
  3. cslewis macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2004
    40º27.8''N, 75º42.8''W
    Safari is working fine for me. Did you screw with permissions, reciepts, or Safari settings? None of the problems you had I had. Maybe you should kill Safari and re install it. :rolleyes:
  4. reykjavik thread starter macrumors 6502

Aug 31, 2004
    Thats what i was thinking....its just so frustrating when technology doesn't work.
  5. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    Please don't ever buy Windows, I fear for your health and safety if you do.

I too have noticed Safari lagging a bit on the vBulletin php scripts. It's never too much though, so I just assumed that it was because the site has been rather busy lately.
  6. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

Feb 4, 2003
    New HAMpshire
    There obviously is a problem with your system/safari program. It works great for me. In fact the only issus I hate is the menu bookmarks bar is so darn slow to come up on my iMac flatscreen 17".

What system are you running, what version of safari? Have you changed any settings? Are cookies on? The bank thing sounds like a cookies issue.

If you reset safari it will make you sign in the first time at your bank, then you often need to check a box for it to remember your id name, but depending on the bank won't remember your password and make you enter it every time.
  7. liven2 macrumors regular

Jan 2, 2002
    Bonney Lake, WA

OK, I use Safari for all the things you mentioned. I sellon and use Ebay all the time and have never had any of your issues. What version of Safari are you running?... I think your issues are odd as I never hda any of these except in earlier versions of Safari which tenede to be bug ridden. The current version is an excellent browser and is only going toget better. If you need help to trouble shoot message me. :)
  8. reykjavik thread starter macrumors 6502

Aug 31, 2004
    Im using the latest version of everything (1.2.3 safari and 10.3.5 for os x). As for cookies I let it accept for everything. Honestly I havent tweaked the settings at all. I dont know what the problem is. I dont want to reset safari because i lose everything dont I? (btw, this took me about 6 trys to post using safari)
  9. RAS admin macrumors regular

RAS admin

Sep 4, 2004
    Berkshires, Mass.
    I have also had problems with Safari 1.2.3 (v125.9) and eBay. Some pages will fail to load and actually bump me off the internet for a few minutes. Luckily, I have DSL and the connection automatically reconnects after a brief timeout. This is really frustration if you are someone who likes to bid in the last few seconds of an auction...

here is an example:

this page will kick me off everytime. I really should report this bug to Apple. anyone else want to try it and report back?

hey, are you from Iceland? 101 Reykjavik is one of my favorite movies!
  10. reykjavik thread starter macrumors 6502

Aug 31, 2004

I went to the page and wasnt knocked off. Usually if youre having problems, at least this is what ive found, with an actual auction page its most likely do to the persons html within the auction site. They often throw in stupid java stuff that messes with the browser if its not IE. As for Iceland, no Im not Icelandic (im about the furthest thing from iceland possible, jewish from long island). However, i love Iceland, ive been there 5 times. I never saw the infamous 101 reykjavik movie but I read a book (which I think has nothing to do with the movie) called 101 Reykjavik translated to english by a guy named Helgason (arent they all named Helgason??). The book was amazing! definitely should read it, especially if youve been there. Here is the link:
    101 Reykjavik
  11. vsp macrumors regular

Jan 23, 2004
    Chico, Ca
  12. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Jun 26, 2004
    I live in a giant bucket!
    Works fine for me. Try reinstalling safari, you basically have nothing to lose at this point. :p
  13. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

Jun 22, 2004
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    1) I'm able to view and bid on items on ebay flawlessly.

2) I'm on many many forums, and ive never once had a time out.

3) I can on to my bank account just fine from Safari, I can log into my college student website, and all that fun stuff.

I havnt had any problems with Safari in the week i've used it. I love it. It just seems to be a tiny bit slower than Firefox.
  14. RAS admin macrumors regular

RAS admin

Sep 4, 2004
    Berkshires, Mass.
    I will be reading that book soon. thanks for the link! The movie was based on that book so you should definitely check it out. Great cast and well filmed...
    I have a friend who also has the same Verizon DSL service and who also always keeps all Apple apps up-to-date via software update. The same thing happens when he tries to access the same page. If it's some wierd java in the source then how come you guys don't get bumped off?
  15. wPod macrumors 68000

Aug 19, 2003
    Denver, CO
    thast really weird, ive never had any trouble with safari, except some web-sites wont allow me to sign in cause its not ie or netscape, but then all i do is de-bug as a netscape browser and it works fine. id go for the reinstall
  16. bubbamac macrumors 6502

Dec 24, 2003
    1 and 2 sound like cookie issues to me. Clear them all, or go through them and clear anything related to this forum and eBay.

To fix number 3, go to preferences, the AutoFill tab. Make sure "User names and passwords" is checked (sounds like it is), and then click the "edit" button to the right. You'll be able to remove the entry related to your bank; it will ask you the next time you go to the site and enter a password.

Safari has some limitations - but for what I do most of the time, it's better than Camino. Mostly.
  17. TEG macrumors 604

Jan 21, 2002
    Langley, Washington
    Actually my experence has been quite different.
    Safari actually remembers 95% of my usernames and passwords, sites load 10 to 15 times faster than either of my parents PCs using either IE or Mozilla. About 90-95% of all sites I frequent work correctly, and those that don't only require using the Debug menu to fool the site into thinking I'm using IE instead of Netscape/Mozilla 5.0. I did for a short time have a problem paying my CC bills online with Safari, but it turned out to be the website sending cookies to outside servers, now fixed. And I only have one site that will not remember my username and password, and that is my School's Blackboard Communication System, but its not that big of a deal.

If yours is having all these problems, I'd suggest 2 things...

1) Reset Safari

2) Reinstall the OS over the existing one, sometimes files can be corrupted and cause those problems.

18. cwtnospam macrumors regular

Sep 4, 2004
    This sounds like a problem with your internet connection. Sites failing to load or loading slowly could easily be lost packets forcing your browser to reload. It may be less likey, but the same thing could cause your third problem. Are these problems consistent? Do they happen at the same point each time?
  19. reykjavik thread starter macrumors 6502

Aug 31, 2004
    As for number three, I checked and my bank isnt listed in the list of autopasswords. I also notice that when I go to the site I get an error message saying that I dont have some type of MIME plug-in and because of that some content cant be displayed. I deleted the cookies and had the same problem with this web site, but this time it was just logging in. I logged in and it just went to an empty page. Ill see how it goes when I try to post this.

Update: the posting worked, but log in didn't.
    Update #2: I take it back, i tried posting in a different thread and it stopped again. i guess that didnt fix it. And now I cant post this one this sucks
  20. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

Jun 9, 2004
    Out of a Suitcase, USA
    I have noticed major lag with Safari (on two seperate computers) when trying to access hotmail. I usually have to reload several times befroe I can get my account to load.
  21. manosira macrumors member

Jun 22, 2004
    SOMA - S.F. - Cali
    I love Safari, and prefer it to Internet explorer. I too have problems with ebay, but it's not a safari problem for me, it's a mac problem. Neither Safari or internet explorer on the mac will work fully with ebay. There's some glitches. So for now I use IE on a pc to do my ebay stuff, until I get virtual Pc 7.
  22. boomtopper macrumors member

Mar 25, 2004
    UK Huddersfield
    I find it really hard when i move to another browser because of the workflow of safari. I love that you can open links in new tabs by middle click but whenever i install mozilla and i try this it does not happen. There is supposed to work in mozilla and i have looked through the preferences and have not found a way to turn it on. But i am very happy with safari. Least i am not using internet explorer eghhhh no tabbed browsing!!!??
  23. kylos macrumors 6502a

Nov 8, 2002
    Actually, I believe Safari recognizes which fields are likely bank fields and will not save them as a security measure. This obviously doesn't work 100% since banks are not restricted to what names they give their fields.