Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darkwing

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Anyone else notice that Safari is complete and total crap? If I go to a webpage with a lot of animated graphics (like any article on fox news, for example) it spins the CPU (and apple's inefficient WindowServer isn't much help either) at 100% which is beyond ridiculous for sitting there reading the news. On a PC, the same page takes 2-4% of the CPU. That's a 2 ghz P4 or whatever they have at school. I loathe windows but I do like how Internet Explorer can show me a page without making the cpu hot, unlike my rev C 17" powerbook get hot.

Is there any way to fix this? The problem may be something to do with the way some of the ads on some sites scroll. I noticed a lookup today on http://www.snopes.com spinning my CPU as well.

Steve

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
Well, I wouldn't say that Safari is total crap, but I noticed the same. When there's a moving newsticker, Safari takes 90% CPU. When I scroll down the page and the newsticker isn't visible anymore, it goes back to the normal 10% or so. That's something that has to be fixed!

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I've been using Safari from the start, and it has come a long way.

Try Firefox, or use the most unsecure browser on the market: Internet Explorer.

darkwing

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Veldek said:
Well, I wouldn't say that Safari is total crap, but I noticed the same. When there's a moving newsticker, Safari takes 90% CPU. When I scroll down the page and the newsticker isn't visible anymore, it goes back to the normal 10% or so. That's something that has to be fixed!

Hi Veldek. In my case, I notice that it doens't matter if the ticker is on the screen or not. It always eats the CPU. I close that browser window and the CPU usage drops.

Steve

darkwing

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Gary and Thirteenva,

I've tried Firefox and Camino and they both do the same thing. Total CPU hogs.

Maybe the problem is me?

Steve

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
I believe the high cpu usage is not caused by the browser itself, certain plug-ins such as the macromedia flash player are not very well adopted for Mac OS X.

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
darkwing said:
Gary and Thirteenva,

I've tried Firefox and Camino and they both do the same thing. Total CPU hogs.

Maybe the problem is me?

Steve

It's possible... can you give a link to the page in question, I have about 6 different browsers on my machine right now (for testing our web app's compatibility) I'll open it in each of them.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Safari's cache also eats memory (RAM) I often empty it while I am working on heavy applications. I've had it hog as much as 200mb of RAM for cache.

That's my only real gripe with Safari anymore.

darkwing

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Thirteenva said:
It's possible... can you give a link to the page in question, I have about 6 different browsers on my machine right now (for testing our web app's compatibility) I'll open it in each of them.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,139041,00.html

This is just the latest example. A previous poster was correct. When I move the scrolling text thing off the screen, the cpu usage drops. I was mistaken in saying it says high until I close the window.

This page uses 90+% of my cpu with Safari.

Steve

iceTrX

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2004
Outside of Detroit.
darkwing said:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,139041,00.html

This is just the latest example. A previous poster was correct. When I move the scrolling text thing off the screen, the cpu usage drops. I was mistaken in saying it says high until I close the window.

This page uses 90+% of my cpu with Safari.

Steve

When its in the background its like 4% CPU usage, but when its foremost I get around 20-50% CPU usage (on a 1Ghz Alu PowerBook)]

EDIT: I'm using Safari 1.2.4 on 10.3.6

darkwing

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
iceTrX said:
When its in the background its like 4% CPU usage, but when its foremost I get around 20-50% CPU usage (on a 1Ghz Alu PowerBook)]

EDIT: I'm using Safari 1.2.4 on 10.3.6

Even with the page scrolled all the way up? I notice it slows in the background, but with that "Your World" scroller at the top it takes 90+% on my 1.5 ghz Alu 17".

I'm using the same as you.

Steve

continuum

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2004
Beautiful Lake Tahoe
maybe someone can help me.... as of about two weeks ago i have to try to load a web page twice before it will actually load. the address is in the address bar and safari will give me the drop down error message that the page could not be loaded, i hit enter on the address bar and bam! the page loads. about 90% of the time i have to try twice before a page will load....

i emptied the cache...didn't help...wasn't even sure if it would.

markjones05

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
darkwing said:
Anyone else notice that Safari is complete and total crap? If I go to a webpage with a lot of animated graphics (like any article on fox news, for example) it spins the CPU (and apple's inefficient WindowServer isn't much help either) at 100% which is beyond ridiculous for sitting there reading the news. On a PC, the same page takes 2-4% of the CPU. That's a 2 ghz P4 or whatever they have at school. I loathe windows but I do like how Internet Explorer can show me a page without making the cpu hot, unlike my rev C 17" powerbook get hot.

Is there any way to fix this? The problem may be something to do with the way some of the ads on some sites scroll. I noticed a lookup today on http://www.snopes.com spinning my CPU as well.

Steve

lol you know something your right, i dont know why i keep using it! Its total ******** that i have to wait like 9 minutes for a ****in gif graphic at the top on a webpage to load when IE or Firefox loads it in 2 seconds. Apple better start fixing this Safari ****.

darkwing

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
kingjr3 said:
For reference.

26-28% on my P4 3.0 ghz with 1 GB running Firefox 1.0

Seems like the developers at Fox should scale back the site a little.

I agree with you there. Their new "look" sucks.

I don't have this problem on cnn.com or msnbc.

Steve

darkwing

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
continuum said:
maybe someone can help me.... as of about two weeks ago i have to try to load a web page twice before it will actually load. the address is in the address bar and safari will give me the drop down error message that the page could not be loaded, i hit enter on the address bar and bam! the page loads. about 90% of the time i have to try twice before a page will load....

i emptied the cache...didn't help...wasn't even sure if it would.

I have this same problem! Thank you for reminding me. It was happening before 10.3.5. I meant to mention this as well in the thread. I can't find any reason for it. It says it can't find the host almost instantly, and then I have to hit return again and it loads right up!

Steve

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
It's not just Safari that has problems with all the animations.

The problem is the Flash plug-ins, methinks. Someone (Macromedia? or Apple?) should really optimize the Flash player.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
The Fox news site uses 50% on my AMD 2700+, 1GB RAM with Firefox.

That is just too much. :eek:

darkwing

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
gekko513 said:
The Fox news site uses 50% on my AMD 2700+, 1GB RAM with Firefox.

That is just too much. :eek:

I noticed only 16% on that same page with a p4 machine here at work using internet explorer on windows. It ran as well there as it does on my 1.5 ghz g5.

The site is crazy, but they aren't the only site I have this issue on.

Steve

vwcruisn

macrumors regular
May 7, 2003
Santa Monica, Ca
darkwing said:

Steve

1st things first.. before solving this problem, you must solve the more serious problem... stop watching/reading fox news!!!! :rolleyes:

darkwing

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
vwcruisn said:
1st things first.. before solving this problem, you must solve the more serious problem... stop watching/reading fox news!!!! :rolleyes:

:D I admit I used that example just to generate comments. ;)

Steve

maxterpiece

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2003
maybe people are getting different results because they are using different versions of flash ...?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.