safari suddenly a memory hog?!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ero87, Feb 14, 2007.

1. ero87 macrumors 65816

Jan 17, 2006
    New York City
    hey guys,

my iMac G5's been pretty sluggish lately :(, and i suspect it's because of Safari. here's my activity monitor when doing nothing special in safari.

What's going on, and what can i do? Is that a normal amount of memory usage?

P.S. Safari sometimes jumps to 20% CPU usage, even when i'm using another application.

Attached Files:

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    Unfortunately, it's not all that uncommon. Safari routinely uses 600+MB of real memory and well over a gig of VM on my PowerBook with 1.5 GB RAM. Using Forum Spy here seems to generate the worst offenses, but it does it most of the time.

I'm currently at 316 MB real, 610 MB Forum Spy.
  3. devilot Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005
    I don't really use Safari much, but from what I've seen on MR, doesn't it help to just simply quit and re-open Safari when it starts bogging down?

Another thing that might help is go to User> Library> Safair> Icons and just dump out the contents of the Icons folder. *shrugh* :eek:
  4. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

Jan 28, 2005
    American Riviera

Same here: only one tab (MR of course ;)) 327 MB real, 891MB virtual. I've started rebooting it about every couple of hours, just to keep the memory size down. Annoying, but necessary.
  5. MP4-22 macrumors member

Feb 12, 2007
    That is about the same as my computer except Safari uses only around 600MB of virtual memory.
  6. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
    how long have you been using safari since last time you close it? since prolonged usage will increase the occupancy of RAM