Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amnesiac1984

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2002
Europe
I've started posting at another board, ukresident.com and they have a similar thing with smilies on the side of the posting box in order for your to click on them. Except, they have about 50 smilies to choose from and half of them are animated, this causes safari huge problems! I can't type in the post reply box without it taking a few seconds for my words to appear, its really annoying and slows me down huge amounts, almost to the point that I start to lose debates because I am being too slow. I tried with fire-fox and its fine, so the why the hell can't safari handle it?

CubeHacker

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Yep, same problem here. As soon as more than a few animated gifs appear on screen (no matter how small), Safari just chokes to the point of freezing the entire browser for several seconds at a time. I'm not 100% sure, but I have a feeling this has to do with Safari not being a multi threaded app. I say this because similar pauses occur when I start opening links in tabs - the open webpage completly freezes until all tabs are done loading. Other browsers, such as Firefox don't have this problem.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Have you reported this to Apple? It's not really acceptable for a top of the class browser.

amnesiac1984

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2002
Europe
I have reported it to apple, although it was only as a footnote to a report I was giving about the main page of the site not loading properly (ukresident.com). But it turns out the main page was made using M$ FP 2003 so its not really surprising that it doesn't work properly.

I suggest we all complain about this.

As for safari not being multi threaded, is that what it is when you get a program that can't do more than one thing at once? Is the finder not multi threaded either, and is that why it locks up when you lose connection to a mounted server?

I get the same problems with multiple tabs, I'm wondering whether I should switch to firefox completely, at least until the sort out safari, the only problem being firefox doesn't have the interface of safari! and it aint made by apple!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.