Safari update...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cubist, Jun 3, 2003.

1. cubist macrumors 68020

On all three of my computers, it says a newer version is already installed, and it won't install... am I missing something?

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Are you using Software Update to get the new one? Try downloading the standalone, then trash the old one and install the new one. Strange that it's happening on 3 computers though.

3. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

i got the same prob on one of my machines. it installs the new version properly, and when i ran software update again, it says it is not installed.

4. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

anybody got an idea of how to solve that problem ?

5. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

i've had nothing but errors with software update not recognizing that i don't have the latest version of certain pieces of software. sometimes it does work, but rarely. on the other hand, it always is right when i need an os x update.

6. jimthorn macrumors 6502a

jimthorn

I've noticed strange behavior with Software Update too. I think what happens is that there are two kinds of "updates" that the program checks for.

(1) What version of (OS, app, etc) do I already have installed, and is there a newer one available... in which case it installs the newer one.

(2) Today a new (OS, app, etc) was released and I'm going to assume that it isn't installed, so let's install it.

The second type I described comes from personal experience, since on days that new software is released, I often run Software Update, but then afterwards I run it again, just to make sure I got everything new. Sometimes it wants to install the item I just installed (Safari in particular comes to mind). I just cancel it, and then next day if I run it again it doesn't do this strange thing.

I can only assume that Panther's version of Software Update will work better, as rumors suggest it is going to be improved in some way.