Safari updated already

Discussion in 'New Mac Application Announcements' started by mike czech, Jan 10, 2003.

1. macrumors member

from the Safari download page at apple.com:

"Safari Update 1.0 Beta (v51) 1-10-03
    This Safari Update is recommended for all Safari users"

the version is marked as 0.8.1

find it at http://www.apple.com/safari/download/

2. macrumors 604

iJon

thanks for the heads up, i would have never noticed it, did it make it way to versiontracker?

iJon

3. macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

OH MY GOD! I don't know why, but this build is MUCH faster on my 933Mhz 1.25 GB PowerMac. It screams!!!

4. thread starter macrumors member

I had the "first" version which kept deletng my /tmp file and messing up my Classic and Software Update. This one doesn't have those bugs...

I hope we don't find new, updated bugs!

5. macrumors 68030

medea

heh, I was just about to post this....thanks.
    Seems a bit faster, not all the bugs I've spotted are fixed but it's still an early beta so.....
    Glad to see them on the ball though.

6. macrumors regular

It does seem

a lot faster (imac 600 mhz), still the hotmail issue... at least for me.

Just learned about Tab browsing the other day and I love it. I really hope they add that feature.

7. macrumors regular

hmm, is it faster, I cant tell. Ill take all updates for it I can get anways. they should have a list of fixes shouldnt they, or no because its still beta?

8. macrumors 68000

Freg3000

Eh, for me nothing noticable yet. The navigation tabs on the Apple homepage are still off center. It's still pretty fast,

9. macrumors 604

iJon

yeah i noticed that too. i sent them a bug letting them know their own site doesnt even show properly. im sure thats the least of their concerns right now though. one thing i know though, apple sure has optimized their site for safari because their site flies in it. i love. i think it is my imagination but this does feel a bit faster.

iJon

10. macrumors regular

Seems to be faster for sure. The Apple site does seems to be the fastest. Scrolling is awesome. Future updates to Safari are going to be great!!!!

11. macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I am disappointed that this update doesnt have the flash player fix

12. macrumors 65816

peterjhill

Has anyone created their own style sheet for it? It would be interesting to have a site to download premade stylesheets. Probably exists, let me google it.

The update does not add anything noticable, probably a good bit of bug fixes. David Hyatt is the kind of programmer I like, hard working and obsessed :D

13. macrumors 6502a

Jaykay

Can this version of safari remember passwords, because apart from tabbed browsing thats one of the things i want most.

14. macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Does anyone know the best way to submit a feature request? i'd like to see a bigger cache, or better yet a way to change the cache size... I know a lot of times the bigger a cache is, the slower it works, but Safari's cache seems awfully small, and i find it downloading images and sites that i visited just a few sites ago.

I don't know if i should use the bug report as a feature request, i'd imagine that would annoy them?

pnw

15. macrumors 604

MacBandit

Use the bug report. Who cares if it annoys them. If it does you know you got there attention. Expecially when 50,000 others do the same and request the same feature.

Chimera still loads the Apple page faster for me. Even when going to pages that I have never been to or at least not in the last few months. Maybe they optimized it for slower connections and that is why I'm not seeing a speed increase.

The tabs on the Apple page seem to be in the right position also. I don't know what the difference is.

16. macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Anyone tried the debug menu?
    Look what I got:

Attached Files:

17. macrumors regular

i don't know what happened, safari was really fast, i went and updated it and now it is not that fast>>>>?????

18. macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

debug

where is this debug menu? i'm just not seeing it

19. zim
    macrumors 65816

zim

just noticed something about safari... i was curious as to how safari would register on my web tracker (i use thecounter.com) and it registered as netscape 5.

does anyone know if this is because the system (thecounter) does not recognize this specific browser and just defaults it to either ie or netscape? although i have had some people register as unknown. just curious because i would love to see what number of mac users that visit my site are using safari.

20. macrumors 68020

Beej

Re: debug

Go to View > Bug. There will be a little bug icon in the top right of your window.

21. macrumors 65816

alset

Re: debug

Use this app (Safari Enhancer) to add some hidden features, including the debug option. This link is to the developers site. People seem to rate it well on Version Tracker.

I haven't tried it, so please let us know what you think.

http://gordon.sourcecod.com/sites/safari_enhancer.php

Dan

22. macrumors 604

MacBandit

Because there are two main standards for web browsers that being IE or Netscape when you build a new browser you have to choose which one for it to emulate. Apple chose to be like Netscape. Therefore when the counter checked your Safari it was actually checking the emulation that it used which is Netscape.

23. macrumors member

User Stylesheet

I resorted to creating the world's shortest style sheet just so I could get rid of those darn underlines on the hyperlinks (I'm surprised the preferences don't allow this). My stylesheet is simply:

a { text-decoration : none }

I saved it as My_Style.css and linked to it using the "Use stylesheet" option in the Safari prefs. Now none of my links are underlined! Yeah!

24. macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    OMG!!! THere was an update to a BETA application. I never would have believed it.

25. macrumors 6502

I guess they fixed that "downloading and deleting homedirectory" bug