Safari versus Mozilla (speed)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hcuar, Dec 13, 2004.

1. hcuar macrumors 65816

Jul 23, 2004
    Just wanted to beg the question:

Has anyone ever noticed that Mozilla (was using 1.7.3) seems to be faster than the latest and greatest Safari? I've only been using Safari at home for quite some time. On the weekend, I needed to use Mozilla due to a webpage not acting correctly. I couldn't believe the difference in loading pages. Safari seems to be much slower than Mozilla.

On a side note, I wonder if Firefox would be even faster.

I'm not attempting to troll, I just surprised by the performance difference. I don't feel right dumping Safari though. :(
  2. joetronic macrumors 6502

Dec 9, 2004
    New Oxford, PA
    I use camino(sp?). It seems to be faster than all three (mozilla, safari, firefox). I use this laptop on dial up at times, and would even think of using anything else but camino on slower connections. Uses the same plugins as firefox.
  3. dragula53 macrumors regular

Jun 23, 2003

is noticeably faster, too.

Nothing about any of the browsers really is enough to call one bad though.

(except internet explorer, what a piece of crap)

Opera is real nice, too.

Safari seems to lock up for me on some pages, for no reason. then I have to reset safari. not particularly fun.
  4. Josh macrumors 68000

Mar 4, 2004
    State College, PA
    I have noticed that on dialup, Safari is much faster.

On dsl/cable/t1 etc, FireFox is faster.

I think Safari does a better job caching things,
  5. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Aug 19, 2004
    Safari lags like no other on my machine. I’ve been using Firefox for a while now, and not too long ago I downloaded the G4-optimized version. It’s even faster than the regular Firefox. (A forum search should turn up that link, if you're interested in trying it.)

Speed alone probably would have been enough to sell me on switching to Firefox, but the variety of plug-ins available really sealed the deal for me.
  6. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

Aug 5, 2003
    camino rocks... they should change the switch tab to command+shift+ arrows and display as you type any bookmark url ... Hello Spellchecker ???

I really don't have an use for the extensions of firefox, cool but at work where I use a PC ( :mad: ) , camino simplicity is great, some small tweaks (I don't think the camino team will add too many features as firefox or maybe more for the mac crowd only) and it will be a kickass piece of software...
  7. munkle macrumors 68030

Aug 7, 2004
    On a jet plane
    I think one of the reasons Safari seems slower is that there is a page loading delay built in, giving an appearance of 'slugishness' compared to other browsers. You can turn this 'delay' off using Safari Speed or TinkerTool. It does seem to make Safari appear faster, but still doesn't feel as snappy as Firefox.
  8. Espnetboy3 macrumors 6502

Feb 1, 2003
    two questions, there has to be a good reason for a page loading delay, does it scan the site first to make sure its safe or something? and second wat is the link to get firefox and the optimized version for the g4 please, thanks
  9. solaris macrumors 6502a

Apr 19, 2004
    Oslo, Norway
    You find my Firefox builds optimized for G4 (ppc7450) here:

Enjoy! :)
  10. CaptainHaddock macrumors 6502

Jul 6, 2004
    Nagoya, Japan
    I find that GUI actions like scrolling through pages in Safari take longer, and I usually can't browse an image-intensive page (like until everything's loaded.

Camino, on the other hand, is lightning-fast, and I can use it while pages are still loading. I just wish it looked as clean as the new Firefox theme. :/
  11. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

Apr 12, 2002
    The rendering in Mozilla and Firefox is faster.