Safari vs. Camino

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by theman5725, Aug 27, 2006.

1. theman5725 macrumors 6502

Ive used safari as my browser since I got my new mac about a month ago. However, ive seen a lot of posts here about how great camino is. On several occasions I have downloaded and tried camnio but I didnt see any great difference when compared to Safari. Also camino doesnt have an RSS reader.

However, Safari sometimes seems to randomly go slow sometimes, so I was wondering is Camino does this.

Basically, what makes camino any better then safari, since I fail to see anything very noticeable.

2. drumpat01 macrumors 6502

drumpat01

I have used Camino a couple of times but keep coming back to Safari simply because of the RSS reader. I didn't notice any speed differences between the two honestly, but then again I am on a wireless connection so I can never tell if the slow loading time is due to the browser or the wireless connection at the time.

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

camino
    1. better compatibility with more website (some website can not be displayed in safari properly)
    2. single window mode (in recent 1.0+ nightly), you need to pay to get single window mode in safari.
    3. Build-in adblock (sure not as good as firefox's adblock), enable it in preference, then goto betanews.com to see the effect (or just stay in this forum, camino filtered the flash ads at the top of this page)

4. radiantm3 macrumors 65816

radiantm3

It's all personal preference. Use whatever one that seems to work better for you as they both are great browsers and follow web standards. I wouldn't worry much about what other people say. Everyone has their own opinion and preference.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's all a matter of personal preference. And it's okay for it to be evolving. Keep them both on your hard drive. It's easy to keep it so that the bookmarks match between them. I've never used Camino regularly, personally, but I flip-flop between Firefox (with AdBlock, TabX, and GRApple) and Safari. Certainly when Firefox 3.0 (which looks like it will use Cocoa) comes out, that will also change the equation, although that's a ways off yet.

What I'd recommend is, keep Camino on your drive instead of deleting it every time you spend fifteen minutes with it. Sync up your bookmarks with the ones in Safari. And whenever one of them pisses you off, switch to the other for a few days. And see over time which you naturally spend more time with.

6. lOUDsCREAMEr macrumors regular

lOUDsCREAMEr

Search b4 you ask. Wanna know how it feels, have a spin yourself!!:mad:

7. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

For my basic surfing needs, Safari is more than adequate. I have tried alot of options but have yet to find that 'i need this' feeling so I go back to Safari.
    Try 'em. They don't bite. :p

8. theman5725 thread starter macrumors 6502

May i ask what single window mode is? sounds like tabbed browsing, which safari has for free.

9. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

It sounds as though it forces all windows to open in a new tab, isntead of a new window.

To the OP, I prefer Camino because it feels snappier (tm) than Safari does.

10. Miguey macrumors 6502

Wow theyre so close together on my dock i didnt even realize i was using safari instead of Camino....

anyways i prefer camino it seems faster..

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, exactly. The easiest free workaround in Safari is to Apple-click links you want in new tabs. If you do that, then 99% of the time, you'll get what you want, and you keep pop-up windows for places you want them (e.g. web-based file requesters). I do this and use the force new links to open in tabs mode in Firefox and find that switching back and forth doesn't bother me that much....

12. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Hmm, I prefer Firefox over Camino. Less buggy when I last had Camino, but maybe the issues have been fixed.

13. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

yeah, i meant force all links open in new tab, in safari, u need to hold a key while click every link to do so, really not that convenient. There is a software that can change this in safari, but u need to pay $$$.