Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

icedcoffeeontoast

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
Are there any stats on the amount of energy consumed by Chrome vs Safari?

I found an article on the Verge a few months ago (http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/10/8381447/chrome-macbook-battery-life) that talked about Google Chrome's appalling power consumption and CPU hogging. According to the article, Safari lasted 13 hours and 18 minutes on the new MacBook Pro at a screen brightness of 65%. And Chrome, the most popular browser in the world. Chrome, the saviour of the world from the devil that is (or was) Internet Explorer. Chrome lasted only 9 hours and 45 minutes. That's a difference of 3 and a half hours. Yes, 3 whole hours.

Google Chrome, to me at least, is a much nicer-looking browser than Safari (taking themes into account). Chrome's interface feels cleaner to me, and certainly beats Safari's atrocious tab management. But Safari, with the ability to pin tabs coming in OS X El Capitan, really is the best choice when you're away from the luxury of power-point access.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.