Safari vs Firefox

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cherfizzle, Dec 5, 2006.

1. cherfizzle macrumors regular

I just want to know other peoples opinions on these 2 browsers, pros and cons maybe?

2. rstorm macrumors regular

I do not care for Firefox except for use with Windows. I personally prefer Opera as it allows you to save your session so when you restart the program you are where you left off. You can also set it to open multiple tabs which is very useful. Also the brush alum look is very annoying when trying to keep track of which tab you are on. With Opera you current tab is a nice blue.

3. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

I can't really see any reason to choose Firefox on OS X. It's never looked "right" to me.

When it comes to Windows, it's a different story... Opera all the way.

4. cherfizzle thread starter macrumors regular

yeah i just got opera and im not a big fan of it, i like firefox, but its RSS features are nothing compared to safari's so i think i will stick with safari.

5. JAT macrumors 603

I don't understand where all the FF hatred comes from around here. I switched to FF on Win and Mac for consistency. FF 2 added some of the missing features on the Mac side like icons in the Bookmarks menu. I am trying to figure out an inconsistency between FF and one of my favorite extensions, though. Other than that, very happy.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

What Firefox hatred? Rarely do you read anything bad about Firefox on this forum or any other Mac fan forum for that matter.

My personal opinion of Firefox, however, is that it is a Windows solution to a Windows problem. It is cross-platform only in the sense that it runs on several platforms. However, its look and feel is of a Windows app. There are Windows-only apps that are more Mac-like than Firefox. However, a lot of FF fans let its aesthetic sins slide because it is a weapon against the hegemony of Microsoft.

7. thugpoet22 macrumors regular

Im just the same. I used firefox for a long time on my windows desktop to get away from IE. Now that im use my macbook more than anything i simply downloaded firefox because i was use to the way it worked. It has been my browser of choice for a long time now. And i also feel like im sticking it to the man by using open source software. :D

8. Buschmaster macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

I <3 Tabs.
    I <3 FoxyTunes
    I <3 FireFTP
    I <3 FireFox.

9. charkshark macrumors member

charkshark

I am a big fan of Firefox, partially for it's open source nature, but it's expandability, and Live Bookmarks function I cannot live without. It does run a bit slow, and is not integrated with OS X, nor does it look like an aqua app (it is highly skinnable though). Rendering, though slower than Safari's Webkit engine, is quite accurate and looks okay.

Safari is quite fast on most machines and offers decent browsing, but very little expandability. Sometimes the rendering (Though Fast) is not completely up to par, but text and images look beautiful.It's OS X integration is nearly flawless with apps like keychain while Firefox does this on it's own.

I personally prefer Firefox for my more intensive browsing and use Safari, as well as Camino (http://www.caminobrowser.org/), for quick browsing situations.

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Firefox version 2 allows you to open up at your last settings.

I don't find a reason to use Safari, unless there is a really troublesome site that Firefox won't render correctly and with Firefox version 2, there are fewer now, and generally, Safari doesn't do much better.

Attached Files:

11. ~Kat~ macrumors member

~Kat~

I much prefer Firefox to Safari, it's faster except for the main page loading which takes forever on Firefox.

I've never heard of Opera.

12. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I prefer Safari to anything else, it just feels right and has that Mac feel to it, while firefox doesn't have that. Firefox also seems a lot slower than Safari when loading pages. If I had to chose another web-browser, it would be Opera.

13. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

can firefox use the OS X set proxy settings yet? or is it still using it's own set proxy settings? (pita when moving locations with diff proxies)

alas, I stay with Safari until sorted.

14. keithbennis macrumors regular

keithbennis

I'm using BonEcho for Intel.

oh, and here. www.takebacktheweb.org.

I'd rather use OmniWeb once they work out all the kinks in it, or even Webkit...... but Firefox seems to be working well for me right now.

Maybe I'll try Opera again for a little.

Safari just locks up on too many sites for me. It doesn't have to be so picky when reading! :)

15. keithbennis macrumors regular

keithbennis

How do you use this with that god-awful textbox bug? :(
    When that's fixed I'll go back to it.

16. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

can't really surf the net without adblock, video downloader, rip, and other gr8 extensions. also firefox2's tab behaver is much better than safari.

its actually very simple
    single window mode+extensions, if you care about these two, then firefox is irreplaceable, if you don't care, safari would be good for you.

17. MacIllini macrumors member

New to Mac, more used to Firefox. Firefox seems to be faster than Safari for me too.

18. theman5725 macrumors 6502

I used to use Safari up until recently. I've been using Firefox because of the extensions though.

19. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

I've never used Safari. Well other then to download Firefox that is. Its simply not worth it for me. The extensions alone in FF makes it THE browser for me. That and with Foxmarks I have all my computer's bookmarks synced. Firefox in Windows in BootCamp. Firefox on my XP desktop. Firefox on OS X on my MBP. Firefox on my desktop at work. All the bookmarks are synced. That and adblock on FF is a godsend. Blocks something like 80% of the ads that are found on websites and 100% of popups.
    Safari may be a nice browser but the fanbase and development base that is being built up around FF can't be ignored.

20. NaMo4184 macrumors member

Safari is the browser of choice to me. I tried making Firefox 2.0 my primary browser and it just didn't work out. 2.0 feels a lot more mac like but it seriously bothers me. The text rendering is ugly at times in FF. And Safari is faster if you delete the bookmark icons periodically.

I don't hate fir fox at all. Its definitely my browser of choice on windows. But for Mac give me Safari Please.

21. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

I use both, mostly Safari though. When switching between the two, Safari is a little quicker than FF. But every once in a while you find a site that doesn't like Safari.

22. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I use BonEcho, with a mac skin and UNO. I find it faster than safari.

23. DCBass macrumors 6502

until safari can handle chatting in gmail, i'm sticking with firefox. plus, if you do any web development, firefox can be enormously helpful with various extensions.

Oh, and "find" in FF totally whoops Safari's.

Those are the only two things really. I'm looking forward to Safari's next incarnation in Leopard, which I believe addresses several of the issues people have posted so far.

-DCBass

24. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

I have Firefox purely for testing. Nothing more, nothing less. Same with Opera. Safari is my browser of choice on Mac OS X, but Opera rules all others on Windows (apart from the skin, ugh!).