Safari vs Firefox?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by brsboarder, Nov 14, 2004.

1. brsboarder macrumors 6502a

I've been having some problems loading certain websites, mail sites/ school sites w/ safari and switching, what r your thoughts? is Firefox better, or are there other things which might be better?

2. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Just keep both around ... they're free, after all. :)

Personally, I like Firefox better. I find that pages just load more quickly. However, I've also noticed that Firefox is a bit of a memory hog -- for me, anyway. I don't remember how much memory Safari typically ate up, but it's pretty dramatic on my machine when I have just a few small pages open in tabs.

You could also try Camino -- it's fast as well, they say.

3. kneeslasher macrumors member

Safari = Google search
    Mozilla (FireFox) = Google search + other features such as syntax highlighting via googlebar

The presence of search terms highlighting more or less clinches it for me. I would dearly love to use Safari, but am now comfortably using FireFox until the googlebar, official or otherwise, reaches Safari.

4. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

i notice very little difference between the two. sometimes firefox seems a little faster, but i havent used it enough to find sites that dont work with it. though i like safari b/c i have the debug hack on it that will allow me to debug safari as a number of different browsers (so if my bank website will only let me use IE i can fake it into thinking im using IE) its really nice for those trouble web sites. i dont know if you can do that with firefox.

5. howard macrumors 68020

howard

i like safari better...

and anyone if they please know if theres a way to get rid of the status bar on camino, please let me know, or if your sure it can't be gotten rid of let me know so i can stop this crazy search!

6. Jonx macrumors 6502

Jonx

there are some G4 and G5 optimized firefox available on this page

could you guys try and let us know how fast it is ?

I am still waiting for my powermac to arrive :eek: so comments would be nice :D

7. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

What exactly is the difference between Camino and FireFox? (please don't say "Camino is optimized..."...haha).

Is there a way to get a different look in FireFox? I don't like the way the buttons look...honestly--this keeps me from using it. I'm picky I guess.

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

There are many themes available--just use the menu item under Tools.

There is less to differentiate Camino from Firefox today since they both use a Mach-O backend. The look and feel and Keychain usage are the big points that I see and I wish that all Mozilla browsers used to the Keychain.

9. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

Another Issue...

I'm dependent on SideTrack. Does anyone else using SideTrack feel like the scroll in FireFox is really choppy and difficult to control?

10. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

Ahhh...I would have expected themes to be in prefs...this is very helpful.

I assume Camino uses the keychain and Firefox doesn't?

11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Yes, sorry that I didn't make that point explicitly.

12. howard macrumors 68020

howard

yes!!

definitely hear you on that. and its the same in camino as well.