safari web address bar autofill

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by penguinman, May 2, 2006.

1. penguinman macrumors member

penguinman

Is one able to delete the web URLs that automatically pop up and guess which web address you are typing in?

-fellow geek

2. mac4drew macrumors regular

mac4drew

I don't know of any way other than clearing your history. But I absolutely agree that that feature can be especially annoying. Especially when you're trying to go to a website with a shorter name than the one in your history. (e.g. www.apple-history.com frustratingly keeps auto-completing when all you want to do is go to www.apple.com)

3. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

clearing history doesn't work for me, maybe you hafta empty your cache? but it'd be annoying to lose all my saved passwords and stuff.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Note that any URLs in your bookmarks - including those supplied by Apple - will show up as you type and will not go away unless you delete those bookmarks.

5. Superdrive macrumors 6502a

Superdrive

This is one implementation where IE has it done better. I should be able to type in, and if I choose auto-complete, I press the down arrow to select. Then press enter. This might be easier, but sometimes I like to go to home pages instead of /pages/index.html.

Also note, private browsing mode doesn't remember addresses you go to while it is turned on. Find it in the menu at Safari>Private Browsing.

6. steelfist macrumors 6502a

i'm also wondering if it's possible to remove this feature. it's useless and annoying to me. does private browsing fix this?

7. G99 macrumors 6502

G99

Yes

8. Deimo macrumors member

I wish there was a way to do something like command-enter or such to have safari go with the page as entered... like if i'm going to mac.com i end up at macrumors.com at least once every 3 times. Netscape did it perfectly 10 years ago... the autocompletes were selections to be made by hitting up or down on the keyboard, but did not affect the line being typed!