Safari weirdness

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jbrown, Jan 21, 2005.

1. jbrown macrumors 6502a

jbrown

I am running the latest Safari, and for the most been very happy with it.
    But I've run into a problem. When in Ebay.co.uk looking for some tyres, it seems to hang ( spinning beachball of death ) if my search includes the word ' Pirelli '?? It stays like this and I have to force quit. What on earth would cause this? I've tried in other browsers and it works fine. I've tried using Cocktail to clear the cache, but still have the problems.

I don't know if this has any relavence, but I have recently upgraded to broardband service over a wireless network ( this needed no 3d party software)

cheers

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I've had certain pages at ESPN.com and NFL.com that do the same thing. Its just a bug in Safari and the reason I use firefox.

3. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

Safari is a pig with eBay for whatever reason. I use Camino for it.

By the way, if you have Pithhelmet installed on Safari, that worsens the general performance by a factor of two in my experience.

4. TheMac19 macrumors regular

TheMac19

Yeah, as of recently, safari and eBay haven't been playing nicely together, and nobody seems to know quite why. You'll probably notice that the longer you're surfing through eBay, the worse Safari gets. If you open up activity monitor, you can see that after a while safari is gets way bogged down, and the memory usage just grows and grows until you close and reopen safari. Some people have suggested that it's a memory leak, I have no idea. I still use safari for everything, but it gets tough when ebaying. i'm sure Apple has people on it as we speak...

5. vsp macrumors regular

I've recently been forced to engage in a browser battle on my computer.

Neverwinter Vault http://nwvault.ign.com slows Safari to a crawl.
    Firefox loads it in a second.

Ebay also seems to load better in Firefox.

By adding a few themes to Firefox I can make the GUI a bit more pleasing.

But Firefox seems to use blocky text boxes that can be hard to read and some pages don't render well at all, such as versiontracker http://www.versiontracker.com/macosx/. These sites usually have vital parts of the screen whited out, making them unusable. And it does it whether I block ads or not.

Can anyone get Firefox working with versiontracker? If I can solve this I think I can start using Firefox all the time (well, at least until these small bugs getting stamped out in Safari).

6. mcarvin macrumors regular

I had the exact same problem as you, and I started using recent nightlies of Firefox to see if it was a 1.0 bug. It was and VT is now fine even with AdBlock enabled. Oh, middle-clicking is enabled and functional too.

7. verozov macrumors regular

verozov

same here...

i had exactly the same problem (except it paused whenever i made a second search)... really gets on my nerves... i think i might download firefox...

8. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

If your going to try firefox, download and try Camino also, I think it's alittle quicker to load most pages.

9. verozov macrumors regular

verozov

i just downloaded both (what the heck...) and your right camino does seem to be a little bit faster... thanks for the tip...

i was looking around the mozilla website and does anyone know anything about thunderbird? looks interesting...

10. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

please Apple, fix this..! I browse ebay a lot and it drives me nuts...

vSpacken

11. jmsait19 macrumors 6502

i've noticed the same with the ESPN.com pages. I really wish this would get fixed. I do like safari a lot.

12. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

I don't know if it's any good on OS X, but on Windows I only use Opera. Yes, you do need to take 5 minutes to re-organize the GUI (the moron who decided on the default configuration is an idiot), but once it's done you'll be glad you switched. :D

13. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Thunderbird is a great email client and recieves RSS as well I beleive.

14. vsp macrumors regular

Found the dailies for Firefox and versiontracker is displaying properly. The only obvious glitch right now is a few of the items on the site don't render the text formatting properly, but that's a small cost.

Thanks for the pointer, mcarvin.

15. verozov macrumors regular

verozov

hmmm...

i think i might try it out for kicks

16. NEENAHBOY macrumors 6502

Heck, even with this problem, Safari is still a million times better than IE!