Safari wont launch after installing SBC DSL

Discussion in 'macOS' started by neildmitchell, Jun 2, 2005.

1. neildmitchell macrumors 6502a

May 21, 2005

I installed SBC Yahoo DSL, from the CD provided. Now Safari wont launch, bouces in the dock then dies. Any suggestions?

Just discovered that I cant quit Mail either, I have to force quit :(

Ouch, bad SBC BAD
  2. anubis macrumors 6502a

Feb 7, 2003
    Why do you need to install anything for DSL? DSL is supposed to be fed into a router, which then goes to your computer. Your computer should be completely unaware of where the internet is coming from exactly. All of the DSL/technical details are to be handled by the router, and you just plug your mac in and go. Any ISP that would require me to install their software in order for me to connect to the internet is fraud, scam, and waste of money.

Sorry, it's a pet peeve of mine. ;)
  3. ksz macrumors 68000

Oct 28, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    Whenever something like this happens (i.e., an app that used to work fine suddenly starts quiting at the same point), delete the app's Preferences file and try again. In your case if that does not work, simply uninstall the SBC Yahoo software. The previous poster is correct: you do not *need* to install anything. SBC Yahoo might be supplying you with tools that monitor the health of your DSL connection and alert you to upcoming maintenance or scheduled downtime operations, but that is purely optional.
  4. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003
    like the other poster said, get a router. linksys or a dlink are the more popular ones. netgear is a love or hate relationship for most people. all you do is uninstall sbc dsl. plug in your router to your modem and bam. you will probably have to register your router with sbc if it doesn't work. this is to make sure no rogue computer get on their internet service.

anyways, here is how to register it.
  5. micvog macrumors 6502

Sep 10, 2003
    I also use SBC and live in California and concur with previous posts - if you already have your username and password (I believe you need the SBC software to create it), then remove the SBC software and trash the prefs for any programs that were corrupted.

In addition to establishing your account, the SBC program configures your modem, Mail and will install IE and Yahoo! toolbar and IM software. You can do the configuration manually (SBC Yahoo!'s online help is decent and has Mac-specific information) and I would recommend keeping IE and the Yahoo! software off your Mac. If you want to use Yahoo! IM check out AdiumX .

Regarding the modem configuration, which DSL modem do you have? Both of the modems currently shipped by SBC - a small black one by Siemens and a off-white wireless version by 2Wire - allow the Mac to use DHCP. In this case, use Safari to go to the modem and follow the on-screen prompts to enter your user information and password. Feel free to IM and post back if you have questions. I can give you specific online help pages or the IP addresses for the various modems (2Wire uses a unique IP address).

If by chance you have an older modem, you may need to configure the Mac to use PPPOE. I would call SBC and request a new modem before I would use PPPOE. The Siemens modems are cheap POSes, but they work. I upgraded to the 2Wire which in addition to being a 802.11g gateway, also has additional ethernet ports for network printers or additional computers.
  6. winwintoo macrumors 6502

Nov 26, 2003

My sister lives just outside LA and I read through SBCs online pages regarding their DSL service and recommended that she sign up for it. If she has them come out and set it up for her, will they do a good job, or will she be having these kinds of problems? She uses Wintel machines (I think they have about 4 of various vintages)

7. anubis macrumors 6502a

Feb 7, 2003

I can only imagine that in general, companies like this spend a lot more time perfecting their Windows software, and then just develop some trash for the Mac users. I probably wouldn't mind installing Windows ISP software if simply for the fact that it will probably actually work/not break things.
  8. micvog macrumors 6502

Sep 10, 2003
    When my parents signed up last year they received a self-install kit via the mail. The instructions were straight-forward and the process was uneventful. They use DHCP to connect to the internet.

When I signed up a few years earlier, the tech came out and verified my line was working using his own laptop (I had them re-wire the switch box outside my house and the phone jack in my home office so that I don't need to use filters). The last thing he seemed to want to do was touch my then Windows PC. After he verified the line, he handed me the software package and left. That's when I received the modem that required PPPOE (I upgraded to the 2Wire modem a month ago so that when I upgraded to Tiger I would have a DHCP connection).

EDIT - Just noticed that you said they have 4 computers. They would most likely want the 2Wire modem which SBC calls the "Home Portal". You can check out the different SBC modems at