Safari Won't Launch After Network Updates

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MACDRIVE, May 17, 2006.

1. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

This is driving me up the wall!:mad: Why is it that everytime I do an update over the wire, such as going from 10.3 to 10.3.9, Safari will not launch afterwards? The Safari icon will bounce up and down on the Dock but, will not lauch.

I have erased and reloaded the hard drive so many times, that I have the DNS Host numbers memerized. :)

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, have you tried trashing the PLIST file, com.apple.Safari.plist? :)

3. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Yes sir, I have done that several times to no avail. I even got so mad, that I trashed all of everything in 'Preferences'.:mad:

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Did you make any modifications to Safari, or the system?

5. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Wow, that's bad. Does it open if you disconnect from the network first? :)

7. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I mean, if you go to the Network pane of System Preferences, select the relevant connection and then press Disconnect, does Safari now open? I'm just trying to narrow down where the problem might be coming from. Sorry for all the questions. :)

9. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

The questions are good. I haven't tried what you suggested, please explain how.

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, go to System Preferences, click on Network. Select your connection and then press Disconnect (should be a button down the bottom). Close System Preferences and then try opening Safari again. :)

Alternatively, if you're connected by a cable then you could potentially just rip that out. :p

11. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Wow! You are answering two posts, you must be able to type really fast.

I will try what you have suggested but, it would have to be after an update. Right now, I'm using Safari, only because I just got done with another round of HD erase and Panther install right before the initial post tonight.:)

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, well make sure Safari doesn't work before you try what I said. :p

You seem pretty confident it'll break when you update to 10.3.9. Hopefully, you're wrong. :)

13. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

There does not seem to be any Disconnect button that I can find. I'm on SBC DSL, which I believe is on all the time.

I might also mention that last night I again went and updated to 10.3.9 over the wire, and again lost Safari. Well I say "lost" Safari, when actually Safari was still there but, not launching. In other words, Safari caught the Polio virus.:confused:

14. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, unplug your modem, restart and then see if Safari does any better. :)

15. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Would unplugging the Ethernet cable from the back of the computer be doing the same thing?:confused:

16. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, sure, or pull the power from the modem/router. :)

17. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Yes!!! It does launch once I unplug the Ethernet cable; but why?:confused:

Another thing I should mention; the last time I did the updates, I did them one at a time with a restart after each one, and it wasn't untill after the last item on the list; 'Combined Update', did I start having this trouble with Safari.:confused:

18. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, well that's pretty indicative of something wrong in the network settings. You've set the network up in 10.3, but not 10.3.9, right? Maybe go through your settings now and make sure they're all looking good. It might even pay off to create a new location and start afresh. :)

19. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

mad jew is our expert on the forums - I'm sure you'll be able to get your problem fixed. :)

I would definitely delete the location and do just what mad jew says. :)

He's saying exactly what I would say, so, you'll be working in no time. :)

20. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Pah, I wouldn't listen to me personally. :p

Just one thing, you don't have to delete your current location, just create a new one. :)

21. XFce macrumors member

MACDRIVE I’m having the same problem I keep loosing connection to the internet. SBC blamed the Modem, so I bought a new one (paid $150) my connection continues to drop just 5 days after I installed the new modem. wasted $150 on a Modem I did not need. Ran numerous hardware test. called Apple’s technical support, And SBCs technical support, still no go. I bought Monster surge protectors, along with some brand new phone wires, then went through the phone book called a place in my area that fixes computers. The technician Re wired the room where the mac is connected, still no go. The Mac still continues to loose internet connection just a few days after the tech rewired the entire room. I think the problem has something to do with this... Air port confusing my Wired connection with a Wireless.
    Also A lot of people that use SBC as a ISP are having the exact same problem, no doubt its either this Airport thingamajig Or SBC causing this to happen.

22. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

mad jew,

I went into [System Prefernces] - [Network] - [Network Status] selected [Built In Ethernet], typed in the numbers for [DNS Servers], and typed "sbcglobal.net" for [Search Domain:].

[Location], I selected [Automatic]. I have the option to select [Untitled], should I do so?

Anyway, Safari is still not lauching while plugged in.:confused: :)

23. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Hmm... I'm not sure where to go from here considering what XFce posted. It sounds like an ISP issue, although it's pretty weird that 10.3 works normally. I'd try contacting them and hopefully you'll have more luck than XFce did. :)

Sorry I can't be more helpful. :eek:

24. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

mad jew,

I don't believe XFce and I are having the same issue. He says his quits AFTER launching; mine never gets launched in the first place, unless of course I unplug the Ethernet cable. Anyway, should I select "Automatic" or "Untitled" for [Location] ?

25. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, think of the locations as playlists for your network settings. The default one is called Automatic, and it probably has the settings you originally used to configure the network back in 10.3. Leave that one as it is.

Make a new one (or use this Untitled one) and put all your settings into it from scratch or use the Network Assistant (there should be an Assist Me button down the bottom) and see if this new location is any better. :)