Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MewingFugur

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2011
Hey, so about a week ago when I opened up Safari, any webpage I went to wouldn't load. In the progress bar, it would get about an eighth of the way complete and then just stop. No matter what I do, nothing helps. I have read several forums but nothing so far helps. I have even deleted and reinstalled Safari. Any ideas? I have tried most of the things on some other forums, but will be glad to try them again. Thanks in advance.

(I'm on a Mac Mini 2010 running Mac OS 10.7.4, Safari Version 5.1.7 with no extensions)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hey, so about a week ago when I opened up Safari, any webpage I went to wouldn't load. In the progress bar, it would get about an eighth of the way complete and then just stop. No matter what I do, nothing helps. I have read several forums but nothing so far helps. I have even deleted and reinstalled Safari. Any ideas? I have tried most of the things on some other forums, but will be glad to try them again. Thanks in advance.

(I'm on a Mac Mini 2010 running Mac OS 10.7.4, Safari Version 5.1.7 with no extensions)
Have you tried restarting your computer?
Have you tried resetting Safari, clearing the cache and cookies?
If you haven't already done so, try changing your DNS servers on your Mac and your router to OpenDNS servers. This will show you how: Why am I being redirected to other sites?

MewingFugur

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2011
have you tried a different browser?
Yes, Firefox and Chrome both work perfectly fine.

Have you tried restarting your computer?
Have you tried resetting Safari, clearing the cache and cookies?
If you haven't already done so, try changing your DNS servers on your Mac and your router to OpenDNS servers. This will show you how: Why am I being redirected to other sites?

Yes I have (its been well over a week since this happened). I have reset Safari, deleted extensions, cleared cache and cookies, deleted Safari through terminal and reinstalled it. Safari also doesn't work on any other accounts, but it will work in safe mode. Ill look into the DNS servers.

Thanks to both.

*I added the OpenDNS servers and nothings has changed :(*

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
*I added the OpenDNS servers and nothings has changed :(*
Did you only add the OpenDNS servers, or did you also remove the servers that were there?

Also, you may want to look at your /etc/hosts file, to make sure it's not corrupted.

MewingFugur

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2011
Did you only add the OpenDNS servers, or did you also remove the servers that were there?

Also, you may want to look at your /etc/hosts file, to make sure it's not corrupted.

I only added the OpenDNS servers, I didn't already have any there to take away. I looked at my host file and deleted all the entries that I personally had put in there. Nothings helped.
Thanks though.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I only added the OpenDNS servers, I didn't already have any there to take away. I looked at my host file and deleted all the entries that I personally had put in there. Nothings helped.
Thanks though.

Be sure to restart your computer after doing these things.

MewingFugur

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2011
Be sure to restart your computer after doing these things.

Ok, so let me see if I can explain what all happened today. First off, I did restart after editing the host file and nothing happened. Then I remembered that Safari stopped working around the time that I installed the trial of Little Snitch (it monitors network activity). I have since then uninstalled it, but I read online that someone had the same things happen and they fixed it by reinstalling LS and restarted their mac and Safari worked again. So, I installed LS again AND updated it, restarted, and Kaboom, it worked....Until I pressed my luck. I had kept a copy of the Safari folder (located in Users/myusername/Library/Safari) that contains all my bookmarks and such, and I closed Safari and tried to put those files back so I can keep all my bookmarks. Well, when I opened Safari again, same old thing.....I closed Safari and removed those files thinking that it was those specific files that messed it up, but it never started working again. I have since then uninstalled, reinstalled, restarted, and updated LS and repaired permissions and so on several times and its not helping. I noticed when I deleted the files that I put in the Users/myusername/Library/Safari folder, they never created new ones when I started Safari again. I will try and find the files it created before I overwrited them and restore them, but until then, this is what has happened. Thanks.

*After replacing the files in Users/myusername/library/safari with the ones that were deleted when it started working again, it still doesn't help so I deleted them. Now with the folder empty, I started Safari and the only file it recreates in "WebpageIcons.db" but it doesn't help*

Last edited:

MewingFugur

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2011
Why are you futzing around with your hosts file in the first place?

It can potentially speed up your browsing. If you enter the IP of a common website then it doesn't have to wait for a response from the DNS server for the actual IP of the Website. Even though the IP can change from time to time, although not often for larger websites.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Anyone else have any ideas?

It seems pretty clear from your earlier post the problem is related to Little Snitch.

How about start Safari (even if it does not connect/work) and export your bookmarks by going to File menu... Export Bookmarks...

Now repeat the process you went through earlier when you deleted the Safari settings files and reinstalled Little Snitch. Once you start Safari and verify it works just go to the same File menu and select Import Bookmarks to get your bookmarks back.

It sounds like you had it fixed and broke it again by moving that Safari settings folder back. Just skip that and import the bookmarks like I explained.

MewingFugur

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2011
It seems pretty clear from your earlier post the problem is related to Little Snitch.

How about start Safari (even if it does not connect/work) and export your bookmarks by going to File menu... Export Bookmarks...

Now repeat the process you went through earlier when you deleted the Safari settings files and reinstalled Little Snitch. Once you start Safari and verify it works just go to the same File menu and select Import Bookmarks to get your bookmarks back.

It sounds like you had it fixed and broke it again by moving that Safari settings folder back. Just skip that and import the bookmarks like I explained.

Ok, I never really knew you could export the bookmarks like that, I guess I never really had a need to before now. Thanks, Ill try that.

bojonson

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2012
Hey, so about a week ago when I opened up Safari, any webpage I went to wouldn't load. In the progress bar, it would get about an eighth of the way complete and then just stop.

Had the same problem on MacBook OSX 10.5.8 Safari 5.0.6. Found a simple solution on Apple.com

Just turn off IPv6 for your network connection... it worked for me!

Houseflipper

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2014
Fixed This on my IMAC

Hi All! I have been scouring these forums for a couple of weeks now. I had the exact same problem and have tried every solution offered here. Every web page I tried to visit would not load, whether I was using Safari, Chrome or Firefox. I would click on a fav link or type in the web address and the status bar would just hang and nothing would load. I was contemplating using time machine to restore back, but really didn't want to do that, so yesterday I kicked off an in-depth scan using ESET Cybersecurity. After 20 hours, it was completed with 1 "threat" identified. The name of the threat escapes me - sorry for not copying it here - but it had the word "crawler" in it. I had ESET clean this file, and re-opened Safari. Boom - blazing fast to every site I tried and no issues loading. I am happily surfing again and wanted to share my experience! Hope this helps somebody!

Jen777

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2018
Toronto
Had the same problem on MacBook OSX 10.5.8 Safari 5.0.6. Found a simple solution on Apple.com

Just turn off IPv6 for your network connection... it worked for me!

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!!

I had the exact same problem as you did on the exact same computer. I went through soooo many troubleshooting fixes and nothing worked. I was on the phone for half an hour with my internet provider tech support and they were clueless! Then I called the Apple support line and they were worse! They told me that my computer had to go in for servicing and that the Safari browser was toooooo old and needed an upgrade.

I knew that wasn’t the case and that it must be something simple. I restored my computer back to factory settings and that didn’t work either. Sooooo, I decided to check one more time online before I officially give up.

I came across your post in this forum and BAM! IT WORKED! So simple yet soooo complicated!

I just wanted to say thank you so very much for sharing your knowledge with the world. It’s people like you that have the brains to help the dummies like us .

Thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.