Safari - won't load web pages after 10 minutes!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cb911, Dec 7, 2003.

1. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i'm having some serious problems with Safari.

i have already had to quit it 3 times today because it just wouldn't load web pages. i'm typing this in Opera now...

i can open web pages fine when i freshly open Safari, but then if i leave it for about 10 minutes, then come back and want to use it again, it's useless, and so far i haven't been able to access anything if i leave Safari open for more than 10 minutes.

i've just got the Security Update 2003-12-05 which is supposed to fix some Safari stuff... but this problem hasn't really started until yesterday.

does anyone know what is causing this?:confused:

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've never seen that before. I have the security update too. My Safari's probably been running for about 2 days now.

3. sethypoo macrumors 68000

The security update may be causing it. Try turing off any haxies you have running with Safari, like Safari Enhancer.

Also, try resetting Safari, by clicking on Safari in the menu bar, then "Reset Safari...". That always works whenever I have a problem.

Good luck!

4. chewbaccapits macrumors 6502a

chewbaccapits

Booo

I've had the same problem....Safari is cool for a hile then it just LAGS completely....I have to force quit constantly....It has happen only since the update.....!

5. wr0x2 macrumors member

It seems that I'm having the same problem, even doing an uninstall/install doesn't work.

6. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

7. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

This will hopefully fix it

First turn off and uninstall all third party haxies/apps which affect Safari.

Open Safari and choose "Reset Safari". Now quit Safari.

Then go to your home's library folder and trash the files that say something like :
    apple.quicktime.plugin.plist
    and
    apple.safari.plist

Now open Safari and then quit Safari. This makes new versions of those .plists.

Open Terminal in your Utilities Folder. Everything which you should type is in quotes but don't include the quotes. Type "sudo -s" and at prompt enter admin password. Type "periodic daily" then "periodic weekly" then "periodic monthly". Wait for one to finish before doing the other.

Open Disk Utility in your Utilities Folder. Select you HD. Select "Repair Disk Permissions".

Now open Safari. Hopefully you won't have any of these weird problems. I personally have never experienced problems with Safari.

8. pyknosis macrumors newbie

It could be related to Safari's weird reliance on its cache. I had a couple problems which I attributed to the way Safari caches: 1) It frequently won't update some pages correctly even after reloading the page, and 2) after long browsing sessions (much longer than ten minutes, though) it would slow down and sometimes crash. Usually, when it would slow down I could bring things back to normal by emptying the cache.

I recently decided to prevent Safari from caching anything, and I'm quite happy with the results. All pages update properly now, and Safari never slows down, even if left open for days. (The only reason you might want to maintain caching would be if you are on a slow internet connection.)

If you want to see if killing Safari's cache will resolve your problem, just open your terminal and paste this in:

rm -rf ~/Library/Caches/Safari ; touch ~/Library/Caches/Safari

This line removes Safari's cache folder and replaces it with an empty file (which Safari can't do anything to).

9. hesifix macrumors newbie

same problem on Windows 7

Any thoughts on Safari for Windows 7?

Also run Safari perfectly for 10 min and then pretty much useless.