Safari Won't Open - Help Needed!

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by kris88, Dec 15, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Quick run down of the problem... been using my macbook now for nearly 2 years, have never encountered this until yesterday (and it was completely random, or seemingly) - When i click to open safari, it just bobs up and down continuously in the dock not opening, but still bobbing. Eventually it says application not responding and the usual pop up comes on and asks if i want to report the problem.

I can hold my own in most things to do with a mac, but i'm at a total loss!

Please help, i really need the browser (and also worried if its a deeper problem than that!)

Many thanks in advance

2. macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

The most common cause of this issue is corrupted cache files. These are perfectly safe to delete, since Safari will recreate them as needed.

Your Safari cache is located in ~/Library/Caches in either (or sometimes both) the Safari folder and/or the com.apple.Safari folder. (~ is your home folder.)

3. macrumors regular

I deleted what was said, yet I'm still coming up with the same problem as the first poster.

Anyone have a resolution?

4. macrumors regular

Launch Disk Utility and repair permissions. In that doesn't work, restart, hold down Command+S to go into single user mode, when type stops, type /sbin/fsck/ -fy and hit enter. If all that fails, try an install-in-place of OS X. The last resort is a complete reinstall of OS X. Or you can just download Firefox.

5. macrumors regular

Still nothing. There has to be a better solution than re-installing OSX, right?

6. macrumors regular

Maybe, maybe not. Try an install-in-place first. Missing or corrupted files will be replaced. If that fails, back up irreplaceable stuff and do a clean install.

7. macrumors newbie

He Can't Download Firefox!!!

How would he download Firefox if Safari doesn't open? he must not have another browser because he would just open that browser and download safari again OR just use that browser