safari zoom

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by untamedhysteria, Aug 4, 2005.

1. untamedhysteria macrumors regular

untamedhysteria

i can't seem to get safari to zoom to full screen (to edges left and right and to top bar and dock)...i've seen it done and was wondering why it won't for me. am i missing a preference somewhere or is it a bug?

it is very annoying since that's i'm used to viewing webpages fullscreen.
    i've tried manually making it larger but it doesn't seem to remember the changes when closing and reopening.

Thanks in advance

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Zoom does not equal maximise. It should remember window size and position when you close the app. Have you tried repairing permissions?

3. untamedhysteria thread starter macrumors regular

untamedhysteria

i have repaired the permissions, also clearing cache and history...i wasn't aware zoom was different than maximize...what is the difference? and how would i use maximize then?

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

First, enable the Applescript menu if you don't have it on already.

Pre-Tiger, go to Applications/AppleScript and run the Enable Script Menu thingy.

In Tiger, run AppleScript Utility and check Show Script Menu in menu bar

Now, pull down the Applescript menu (the scrolly shaped thing) and see if there are Safari Scripts in there. If they are installed, Windows to Full Screen should be one of the available options.

If you are missing those items, you can get them here. Once you have the Safari Scripts folder, drag it into to Library/Scripts under your home folder (you can also drag it to your startup volume's Library/Scripts if you want them enabled for all users).

5. untamedhysteria thread starter macrumors regular

untamedhysteria

safari scripts

cool iMeowbot thanks!
    I wish that they just had it the option to change this in the preferences section or something instead of having to make a script for it. It kinda sucks that you have to click on that script each time you want it to go full screen...but it works so it'll do.

again...thanks

untamedhysteria

6. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Maximizing does seem to be a frequently requested feature, but it does look goofy on the wide displays used on many Macs.

The little Applescript described above actually relies on Javascript to handle the screen resizing, Mac programs typically don't have that sort of behavior. It would be nice if Safari had a Scripts menu of its own, so that it would be easy to assign keyboard shortcuts to that sort of thing.

7. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Wow.. didnt know you could do that with Safari. Personally, I just use Opera for full screen browsing, and I love the feature that I can "undo" the closing of a page if I do it by accident :)

You dont have to pay for Opera to get full screen browsing, the ads disappear when you put it in full screen. Buts its pretty good anyway (admittedly its better on the PC, where its probably the only browser I use).

8. StrongGlad macrumors member

Here's what you ought to do--

Create a new bookmark in your Bookmarks Toolbar named "Full Screen" that points to the following URL:

javascript:self.moveTo(0,0);self.resizeTo(screen.availWidth,screen.availHeight);

Now you can just click the "Full Screen" button on your toolbar whenever you want to "maximize" Safari.

9. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

That's a neat way to deal with it!

10. the-fish macrumors member

The wonders of JavaScript - my sister still doesn't understand how I can make pop-ups telling her that she's being contacted by aliens. Heh.

11. StrongGlad macrumors member

Thanks; I think so, too. :)

Also, you mentioned a desire for keyboard shortcuts. As you may know, once a bookmark is in your toolbar, it automatically gets a keyboard shortcut assigned to it: "Command-1" is for the first bookmark in the toolbar, "Command-2" for the second, and so on (note, however, that folders full of bookmarks that are placed in the toolbar are not assigned shortcuts).

Edit: Just discovered that these shortcuts require you to hit the number keys on the MAIN keyboard (as opposed to the 10-key pad).