Safari's PDF viewer drives me NUTS! Any tips?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by valiar, Aug 3, 2006.

1. valiar macrumors regular

Mar 14, 2006
    Washington, DC
    The title says it all. :mad:
    While, yes, Safari can display PDFs, there is no easy way to scale the pages.
    There is no toolbar to do it, and standard Command-+ keyboard shortcut does not work! Most pages will show up tiny, and scaling them up to visible size takes at least 2-4 trips to the context menu. Since I read a lot of PDFs, it simply drives me nuts.:eek:
    As I have explained, I know of the existence of the context menu, but I don't want to go into it 4 times, and I don't want to open the PDFs in Preview.
    I have a MacBook Pro, so the well-known ShubertIT PDF plugin is not an option - it does not work at all on Intel Macs. I have been using this plugin on my PPC macs, and really liked it, but, alas, it is not usable any more...
    Acrobat/Adobe Reader is also not an option - I would rather have a root canal done than run either one on OS X, let alone under Rosetta (for those not in the know, both apps are slow and buggy with a prejudice).
    So, a question to everyone: is there any other plugin in existence that will allow me to view PDFs in Safari and keep my peace of mind? Is there any way to fix the default viewer (it is not bad, but how hard could it have been to enable the keyboard shortcuts in it, or even add the toolbar)?
  2. merc669 macrumors 6502

Jun 7, 2006
    Southern MD, USA
    Agree with you 100%. I hate Adobe!! I have to use it work both the reader and full-blown version and its a waste of memory! But since everybody else uses it I need to at least read it! Current usage with Safari is pretty bad. Need a quick plug-in or stand-alone that will do the job without the Adobe Memory usage ( as in WINDOZE)......

3. LeeTom macrumors 68000

May 31, 2004
    I would set Safari to "open safe files after downloading", and whenever you come across a PDF link, Option-Click it. It will open in Preview.

Lee Tom
  4. wheezy macrumors 65816

Apr 7, 2005
    Alpine, UT
    While I agree most PDF's come in a small text size... what's the difficulty in opening in Preview? Right click, open in preview... tada! It's already downloaded so it's instant. Not THAT hard....
  5. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Aug 27, 2003
    Right-click (or Ctrl-click) when you open a PDF in Safari, and click "Auto size".
  6. hodgjy macrumors 6502

Apr 15, 2005
  7. Patch^ macrumors regular

Mar 11, 2005
    Great Britain
    Dude he said he can't use that cuz he is on an Intel Mac and the plugin is PPC only at the moment.

As in response to viewing PDFs etc, I suggest the option viewing it in Preview etc like the others have said. Hopefully Leopard we may see some improvement viewing PDFs in Safari.
  8. valiar thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 14, 2006
    Washington, DC
    "Auto size" is the size plugin initially opens the PDF.
    Which is unreadable :(
  9. valiar thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 14, 2006
    Washington, DC

While Preview is certainly not a bad app, have you ever tried working with, say, 20 or 30 PDF files at the same time?
    It is MISERABLE in Preview. :confused: I will have 20-30 windows of different size scattered around the desktop!:eek: I want my tabs!
    One of the worst UI blunders in Mac OS X is the "toggle window size", aka the "green button of evil", the behavior of which is unpredictable. Especially in Preview - it just slowly makes the window smaller as you click on it. There is no option to just maximize the Preview window...