Safari's Stop and Refresh Buttons

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iTarzan, Apr 5, 2003.

1. iTarzan macrumors newbie

Apr 1, 2003
    Is it counter-intuitive to put the stop and refresh buttons in the same control position?

Wouldnt it be a better design to make them a pair like the forward/back and smalltext/bigtext?

Also, the text size controls should be moved when viewed. The right side of the forward/back buttons should be the refresh/stop buttons. The frequency-of-use should determine placement on the toolbar if they remain static.

2. jpolk macrumors newbie

Mar 28, 2003
    I agree.

Sometimes you just want to stop loading a page and re-loading it (which can happen with the combined button) is just doing the oposite of what you want.

Wasn't a terrible idea, but in practice, it is more trouble than it is worth.
  3. beatle888 macrumors 68000

Feb 3, 2002
    my opinion is that it works perfectly.
    click on refresh, Oh wait click stop, Oh wait click refresh. seems to work fine for me. as soon as i click refresh the button changes to the stop position if i click stop it changes to the refresh position. seems to work for me.

i can refresh a page and then stop it from refreshing in a split second. im sorry i dont see the problem.
  4. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    The only problem is that the Stop button doesn't do anything half the time
  5. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

Oct 28, 2001
    Greensboro, NC
    thats probably because you are using an unreleased leaked build ;)

i think its a tab issue.
  6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    What? There's aren't any tabs in the public beta! :D

Un-released leaked (or leaky) buids? That doesn't sound good. :D
  7. iTarzan thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 1, 2003
    I never said it didnt work.

It seems counter-intuitive though and I wonder how hard up the devs are for toolbar space that they cant add another button where the location always does the same thing regardless of the current state of the page.

I am not James Bond and when I reach for the lighter I expect a light...
  8. skymaXimus macrumors regular

Mar 3, 2003
    I think its very intuitive...why would you want to waste space w/ another button? You can't hit two buttons at the same time. If you want to stop the page load then you can stop it. It's not like the reload button is ever there when you want to hit stop.
  9. beatle888 macrumors 68000

Feb 3, 2002

i dont get it. counter intuitive? if theres no STOP button its because theres nothing in progress to stop. oh well, maybe you can use the bug menu and use it to sneak in a request. i personaly dont see a problem, it works for me.
  10. iTarzan thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 1, 2003
    I am used to buttons performing one function so I instinctually move to the same place for a certain function and this 007 Safari button throws that off...

Maybe Im just not used to it, I'll stick with it for awhile and see if it clicks eventually ;)
  11. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    i can see where, if you got used to it, it would be very handy. i can also see how it's difficult to use at first (and imperfect at that)... so i think apple should make it an option in the preferences...

my problem is that when i open a new window and want to go somewhere right away, clicking stop really doesn't do anything and highlighting the text in the Location bar won't work until the Home page is loaded. very annoying. I suppose i could just tell it to open blank windows, but bah...