safe mode repair?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by breakfastcrew, Aug 12, 2006.

1. breakfastcrew macrumors 6502

is it true that if I boot into safe boot whatever system file that I corrupted or alter will get repair??

2. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

You can always try and find out ;) . Press & hold the shift key at startup. If indeed a system file is gone (which it shouldntn be), do an A&I.

3. breakfastcrew thread starter macrumors 6502

eh no thx but is there a way where I can run a scan of the computer and have it install back whatever I deleted or screwed up. I deleted a whole bunch of stuff I thought I didn't need yesterday and I need a way to find out if I screw up any of the system file or not.

4. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

Well is the system runnning normally? I don't think there is an option, but an archive and install should do the trick.

5. breakfastcrew thread starter macrumors 6502

well that sux I know you can do a system scan and repair with windows xp. There is nothing like this for macs?

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Not really, it boots with some stuff turned off.

What is Safe Mode?

Stuff that can be messing with your system ... which will allow you to go in and turn off and delete the nasty files.

Missing files that crash the OS, might still crash in safe mode if they are Apple files. If they are 3rd party files, you should get a chance to fix things.

7. breakfastcrew thread starter macrumors 6502

ok...so is there a way to repair the damage with the boot disk or a ultitly without reinstalling os x?