Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

breakfastcrew

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2006
is it true that if I boot into safe boot whatever system file that I corrupted or alter will get repair??

Shadow

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
You can always try and find out ;) . Press & hold the shift key at startup. If indeed a system file is gone (which it shouldntn be), do an A&I.

breakfastcrew

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2006
eh no thx but is there a way where I can run a scan of the computer and have it install back whatever I deleted or screwed up. I deleted a whole bunch of stuff I thought I didn't need yesterday and I need a way to find out if I screw up any of the system file or not.

Shadow

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
Well is the system runnning normally? I don't think there is an option, but an archive and install should do the trick.

breakfastcrew

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2006
well that sux I know you can do a system scan and repair with windows xp. There is nothing like this for macs?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Not really, it boots with some stuff turned off.

What is Safe Mode?

Stuff that can be messing with your system ... which will allow you to go in and turn off and delete the nasty files.

Missing files that crash the OS, might still crash in safe mode if they are Apple files. If they are 3rd party files, you should get a chance to fix things.

breakfastcrew

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2006
ok...so is there a way to repair the damage with the boot disk or a ultitly without reinstalling os x?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.