Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSith

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
Hi guys,

I've been following the Apple discussion forums (and threads here) regarding the Macbook Pro, but recently looked into buying a Macbook for my mother. I am wondering what issues have arisen, if there are any fixes out, and if we should wait for awhile for things to "settle down"? Any advice you have on such a purchase would be appreciated as well.

I'm afraid I haven't been following the Macbooks at ALL so please bear with me. Thank you.

Phobophobia

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2003
TheSith said:
Hi guys,

I've been following the Apple discussion forums (and threads here) regarding the Macbook Pro, but recently looked into buying a Macbook for my mother. I am wondering what issues have arisen, if there are any fixes out, and if we should wait for awhile for things to "settle down"? Any advice you have on such a purchase would be appreciated as well.

I'm afraid I haven't been following the Macbooks at ALL so please bear with me. Thank you.
You won't know unless you buy one. I'm waiting for a future revision. Once they get all the bugs worked out, Apple is gonna have one helluva product line.

The noise issues are what worry me.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
I don't think there's any really big issues, but more of a complaint thingy goin on. I've been hearing the heat is excessive, glossy screens suck, and integrated graphics suck. Which are all up to individual users. Either way, it's a great machine. If you want to get it, get it.

fowler.

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2004
Pasadena
sometimes, the safest thing you can do is turn of macrumors, go buy your computer and enjoy using it.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
fowler. said:
sometimes, the safest thing you can do is turn of macrumors, go buy your computer and enjoy using it.
Yeah, the whine from my Dell laptop or its fan noise didn't bother me until we started getting all these posts about the MacBook. Now I can't not notice it and wish I was working on my wife's MacBook instead ... since it's totally silent except when the fans come on at 100% load.

PekkaR

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2006
Go ahead. If you get a unit with serious problems, then you'll have to return it for another one and go through some hassle, but that always applies.

I was very aware of the problems with Macbook Pros and Macbook, yet I ordered a Macbook of my own. Well, my Macbook has some of those problems that people were complaining about and that I was worried about. It sometimes gets "stuck" in a fan loop, so it makes the "mooing" sound. It's not very loud, and even in complete silence I doubt I'd get totally annoyed at it. Kinda cute, even, sometimes. ;)

Also, my Macbook's power adapter can get very hot (hotter than the bottom of the Macbook, at least as long as I arrange for proper air flow) and then it makes a high-pitched whining. Not too loud, but more annoying than the fan thing. Again though, not a deal-breaker.

I have no problems with the display being glossy. I wouldn't mind my 17" LCD monitor being glossy too. Easy to adjust the angle to get rid of glare when it happens.

"One person's end of the world is another's minor inconvenience," or something like that. I still consider calling Apple about possibly getting my power adapter replaced since it might actually be faulty (feels unsafe when using it in cramped places with other stuff nearby). If my Macbook had serious problems, I'd certainly get it replaced or a refund. There aren't guarantees of the wait for next revision being worth it. I'm keeping open the possibility of selling this comp 6-12 months after purchase to buy a new one (if it had significant upgrades for my needs), and I'd be willing to take a hit of 200 euros at least in exchange. (And that is in no way certain, especially since I got it with a discount.) After all, I'm getting good use out of my first ever mac and notebook right now.

flyguy451

macrumors regular
May 3, 2005
I've had my Macbook for a week and I love it. I upgraded from a 1.5 GHz, 12" PB. Just put my 2 GB of OWC RAM in this afternoon. Compared to my PB, which was only a year old, this Macbook just screams.

It does run hotter than the PB did but that appears to be the cost for the increase in performance and therefore seems a fair tradeoff - a little bit hotter - a lot more speed.

I expect that the "moo", which is simply the change in pitch in the cooling airflow noise associated with fluctuating fan speed to "magically" disappear with the next software update. I could only hear the sound when there was absolutely no other ambient sound present and, of course when the temp got high enough to cause the fan to speed up. Since I have added the RAM my machine runs much cooler and I have not heard any cows.

I'm not sure about your mother or what she might use her computer for but I know that my mother would be well served with a Macbook and personally I am very satisfied with mine.

coffey7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2006
My white 2.0 Macbook is my first mac and it sure is fast and wonderful. I bought the $1299.00 version but if your mom doesn't need to burn dvds then just get the normal version. I have no regrets. My macbook blows away my hp 3.00 intell 4 with 1gb ram. Its web surfing speed is unmatched by anything I have ever owned. I have had zero problems. I found that you might want to upgrade the harddrive to 100 gb and maybe 1 gb of ram for the future. My battery lasts about 3.45 hours and It seems to charge very quick. good luck.

ALSO APPLE COMPUTERS HOLD THEIR VALUE VERY WELL. IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT USE IT FOR 6 MONTHS AND YOU COULD SELL IT VERY FAST. MAC buyers are loyal and they would pick it up fast.

lesbarn

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2005
Kansas
MacBook 1.83Ghz user findings

I have been setting up 1.83GHz MacBooks for the next school year. We have been working with 46 so far and I have only had two problems. One had a bad combo drive (Apple is sending a new MacBook) and one unit had loose plastic around the screen on the lower right hand corner. I believe the loose plastic pushed back into place, but I will find out more after some additional use. I like the glossy screen and it seems brighter than the old screens. Speed has been great and we are dual booting these systems and have had no problems using Windows XP Pro SP2 on these systems which access a Windows 2003 Domain. Personally I would only run the Mac OS, but I had to please the Windows faction. I have not actually measured temperatures, but the MacBooks are a little warm. Not enough to burn, but you wouldn't want to have your hand or lap underneath the computer for extended periods of time. I say if you need a MacBook, go buy one and have some fun.

Les

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.