Safe to buy an iPod Photo?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by CubaTBird, Jun 11, 2005.

1. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

So is it safe to get one now? I mean if iPod updates are coming soon.. i would think apple would make the minis and the standard ipods go color first... and the thing with the video ipod.. well i dunno.. music video ipod photo perhaps? watch.. i get one and SMACK new one comes out in 2 weeks like last time! argh! :p

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....most seem to feel that iPod updates are coming soon-ish...but I would say that if you see a relatively good deal on one then go for it...I don't think I would pay full price for one at this point though....oh yeah!

3. CubaTBird thread starter macrumors 68020

updates like say a whole new design and what not?

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Nah, just colour, probably.

Colour down the entire line (no photo capabilities), and maybe music video watching ability in the iPod Photo line.

5. dcv macrumors G3

just my tuppence worth... what would be the point in having colour on a non-photo ipod?!! :confused:

6. BenAKL macrumors member

BenAKL

Yea, am thinking of buying a 30Gb iPod Photo but a little apprehensive.

7. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

The same reason we have color on cell phones...and color televisions. Everything looks better in color.

8. dcv macrumors G3

LOL yes, everything does look better in colour... though i don't think you can really compare viewing text on an ipod to viewing pictures/video on a tv screen or mobile phone!

My point was, for non-photo ipods you don't really need colour as all you see are lists of artists, albums etc - what difference does it make if the text is black or coloured?!! Having said that though, seeing as they have coloured photo ipods now it doesn't make a lot of sense to keep the non-photo b&w ipods does it, seeing as the photo versions incorporate the same functionality in essentially the same casing? Perhaps they will gradually phase out the normal ipods and keep just the photos, minis and shuffles. who knows!

9. macapple macrumors member

i need a new ipod but i am not sure what to get?
    Money no object

10. dcv macrumors G3

Depends where you're going to use it and how much disk space you have on your mac/pc, etc.

I bought a 40GB iPod just a few weeks before the photo model was released. Paid £299 (GBP) for it and it broke within 6 months and i only used it for a couple of hours per day, then didn't even use it at all for about a month prior to it breaking. Basically it froze up and resulted in the hard disk being damaged. Took it back to the store and as it was under warranty they gave me a brand new replacement since it couldn't be repaired.

I LOVE my iPod but since it broke i did think to myself, oh i wish i'd spent less money and just bought a mini. At the time of purchase i did consider the mini but decided i wanted the larger capacity. But I really don't need to carry around 40GB worth of tunes when i go shopping, travel on the bus/tube etc... plus it does take up more space in my handbag!! A mini or even a shuffle would suffice - though the shuffle wasn't around when i bought it. I'm just a bit worried that if it broke after only about 5 months of use then it will probably won't last that long, so perhaps a mini or shuffle is a 'safer'/more economical buy in that respect.

Anyway, all i'm saying is if money is no object then you could go for the 60GB iPod Photo... but bear in mind that these things do have a limited lifespan and for around the same price you could get a mini, then buy another mini or ipod when the first one breaks! ...or several shuffles.... ;)

11. macapple macrumors member

12. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

I expect them soon but I got my iPod photo less than a month ago so I hope not.

13. CubaTBird thread starter macrumors 68020

welp.. i did it.. got it as a grad gift if u will... i mean yeah video is cool.. but i have a cam phone and just meh at the dudes that have video on there phones... i got mine customized with my NAME on it lol :eek:

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I am pretty sure no harm will come to you if you buy an ipod photo today.
    But if something does happen, come back and post all about it! Take photos too if you can!

15. CubaTBird thread starter macrumors 68020

yeah i ordered it online b/c i wanted the free custom engraving thing... should be here sometime this week.. thing is though, i thought they came with the av cable so one could hook it up to their tvs? i guess thats an "accessory" now...

16. CubaTBird thread starter macrumors 68020

woo! it came.. it seems to workin great so far.. thing is though.. some of albums have art work.. and a few don't show the artwork on the ipod while all the rest do.. not a big deal but still.. :confused: i also noticed there isn't a contrast adjust thing like there is in the 3rd and 4th gen normal ipods.. hrm...