Safe to get an Apple TV 3 or wait?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by nosaj72, Aug 17, 2012.

  1. macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2002
    #1
    I've got 2 Apple TV 2s that I love. I've been considering selling them on eBay and upgrading to the 3s. I've played around with jailbreaking, but there isn't anything there for me that I can't do with the stock version. I can sell the 2s for more than the cost of the 3s, and I might actually make a little in the deal.

    But with all the stories about new features coming to the "Apple TV", I wonder if I should wait around to see if that is going to be some new device, or just features added to the 3 (maybe even the 2). And if I wait until the 3s are jailbroken, the value of the 2s goes down considerably. Both of my TVs are 1080p, but I only ever watch my Apple TV on them, so I'm not really sure what the visible difference between 720 and 1080 would be.
     
  2. macrumors 65816

    randy98mtu

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2009
    #2
    I'm in the same boat. I need a 3rd device soon for my basement, and I'm considering selling my 40 GB and 160 GB ATV1's to pay for 3 ATV3's. I think I'm going to try an ATV3 today and see if they fixed the things I had problems with on the 2. I have Best Buy's upgraded reward zone status though, so I have a 60 day return policy should Apple pull a "one more thing" next month.
     
  3. macrumors 68020

    RedCroissant

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2011
    Location:
    California
    #3
    I recently sold my AppleTV2(that I bought refurbished) for about $110 in the MacRumors marketplace. You can of course make more than that and if I were you, I would sell them both and buy two AppleTV3. Since you don't care too much about jail-breaking, there's no point in keeping something that can make you more money than you paid for it.
     
  4. macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2007
    Location:
    Frisco, TX
    #4
    Good thing on your return policy, I need another ATV for upstairs but just incase apple decides to revamp it yet again this year I will be waiting as I dont have the upgraded best buy status. I guess even with 30 days return I would be good, but we are so close to the announcement I will just wait.

    Plus if I go to best buy I will end up buying a new TV for the house, something I am trying to hold off as long as possible (not for the infamous iTV but I am cheap when it comes to televisions.)
     
  5. macrumors 65816

    randy98mtu

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2009
    #5
    I haven't done an A-B comparison, but after re-encoding a few movies using the ATV3 preset in Handbrake, I'm kicking myself for waiting this long to try an ATV3. I didn't spend much time with the ATV2, but I say just get it. This thing is great and the H264 1080p is very good at about 35-45% the size of the raw MKV.
     
  6. macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2006
    Location:
    London UK
    #6
    I sold my ATV2 for £150 and bought a ATV3 new for £78... I had the 2 Jailbroken and there was nothing that really interested me. I only use it for music streaming or Airplay.
     
  7. cww
    macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2011
    #7
    hmmm.. after seeing this thread, I'm now thinking of doing the same thing :p

    How come Apple TV2's are selling for more than the purchase price?
     
  8. macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2006
    Location:
    London UK
    #8
    As it is only the 2 that can be jailbroken atm. People tend to Stream free movies and porn with them ;)
     
  9. cww
    macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2011
    #9
    No reason not to sell and get the new one then! I'm not interested in jailbraking.

    Thanks :)
     
  10. macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2008
    #10
    I sold my 3 ATV2's for $150 to $210 each on eBay & Amazon (Amazon was the quickest and easiest sale). Bought 3 refurb ATV3's from Apple. Amazon has new ones for $94 now so almost the same as the refurb's with sales tax. If you're not interested in jailbreaking it's a no brainer.

    I find that with Mountain Lion on my Mac mini and the Rowmote Pro app on my iPhone and iPad, I can play almost any video on the net or that I can get on my computer with AirPlay mirroring from the Mac to the ATV's anyway. And with the Rowmote Pro app I can do it from in front of the TV rather than at the computer, so I don't see much reason for wanting a jailbreak anyway.

    I figure eventually people will realize this or the ATV3 will get jail broken. Seems to be little downside of upgrading during this sweet spot in time where the old technology is worth more than the new.
     
  11. macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2010
    #11
    It's safe.
     
  12. brand, Aug 19, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2012

    macrumors 601

    brand

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2006
    Location:
    127.0.0.1
    #12
    The original :apple:TV can easily be jailbroken.
     
  13. macrumors 6502a

    kemo

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2008
    Location:
    /Users/kemo
    #13
    it's definitely safe ... anyway it doesnt cost that much does it?
     
  14. macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2006
    Location:
    London UK
    #14
    I know but im just discussing 2 and 3 here.
     
  15. macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2011
    #15
    I think there was a thread a little while ago on this. I realized it about a month ago and sold my ATV2 on ebay and replaced with 2 ATV3's. I would think the value of ATV2 would tank the second someone jailbrakes the 3's. I also don't plan on jailbraking and use it as is with 1080p TV's.
     
  16. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2011
    #16
    i jailbroke both of my apple tv 2's and put plex, xbmc and icefilms on them. took about a half hour for both, sold them for $350 each on craigslist. bought 2 apple tv 3's on craigslist for $70 each and picked up an ipad 3..

    i can't imagine them ever being worth more than they are now
     

Share This Page