Safe to leave MBP on overnight running Windows?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lu0s3r322, Dec 26, 2006.

1. lu0s3r322 macrumors 6502a

I've got this extremely slow download going and it's late.

Would it be safe to leave my MBP on overnight? Is there a chance that something might happen like overheating?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It should be fine. Make sure it's plugged in and on a flat, well ventilated surface. :)

3. lu0s3r322 thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. WillMak macrumors 6502a

You can leave your MBP on 24/7 for many months and it'll still be ok. Leaving it on constantly will just decrease the HD's lifetime range since it'll spin more often.

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I've done that with my MBP many times and it's fine. (minus the windows part though)

6. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

Umm so your point is? I believe his question was specifically referring to windows. I mean your response makes about as much sense as responding to "ever driven an electrical car?" with "yes, I've driven a gasoline powered car"

7. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

coincidentally i've just left my macbook on all night running windows via parallels for the first time and i had this worry as well, but I figured it should be fine and lo and behold, my laptop still works fine. :D Are you running windows via parallels or bootcamp though?

8. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

That post was more unnecessary than the one you're complaining about :rolleyes:

@ Osarkon - Parallels should be fine because it's actually OS X controlling the fans and cooling of the machine, Windows is running inside OS X. That's why I personally don't like Boot Camp, the idea of letting Windows manage my machine is a bit hairy, so I'm waiting for the next version of Parallels.

9. Irish Dave macrumors regular

Should be fine :)

Dave :cool:

10. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

this is hilarious!!

but yeah its fine to leave it on all night, I've done it for extended periods (5 hours +) and it worked fine. I did notice that windows does tend to make it run warmer though.

11. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

The original post was asking about overheating in the MBP or anything like that happening.

12. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

yeah overheating specifically under windows, it's been well established that under OS X macs can run for weeks/months with no ill effects. You've added nothing to the guys question. Granted neither have I, but at least I'm not pretending my post are well informed or something.

13. ljump12 macrumors 6502

Take out the 5 words after safe, and you have yourself a real question...

14. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

You have got to be kidding me.

15. commander.data macrumors 6502a

Maybe I'm uninitiated, but is leaving a Mac running under Windows actually that big a concern? Maybe Windows doesn't have all the thermal management capabilities of OS X, but generally the most critical thermal controls are done by the BIOS/EFI anyways. In any case, a CPU isn't going to overheat because of the various throttling modes (TM1, TM2) that activate to prevent this through hardware with no regard to the OS. The CPU will also automatically shut itself off and therefore the entire notebook off if throttling is ineffective. I'm fairly sure that both the chipset and the GPU also have similar features to turn themselves and the system off if they detect too high temperatures. Granted there's still the concern that prolonged high temperatures will shorten component life, but generally mobile components are designed for those conditions, and I would think one night or even if it happens occasionally is hardly a concern and within tolerances. It's really only if you do it continously for days on end that it really becomes a concern.

16. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

This is all stupid speculation!

There is no issue! If the computer is left on for days at a time, most likely it will be in idle anyway! 5% CPU usage does not create significant amounts of heat!

Come on people.

17. Chack macrumors newbie

Sounds like some people are seeing their power cords melt! So there might be some danger after all.

18. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

If the computer doesn't sleep in Windows, then it's a factor. Fully working PM doesn't seem to be implemented in Boot Camp yet, so I'd advise caution.

In summer I had to run the MBP on the iCurve with a desk fan behind it. Ridiculous and unnecessary with a proper laptop but effective in the case of the MBP.

19. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

unless you're running folding for windows, why would there be heavy processor or disk use to create heat? A bigger issue for me would be the potential for psychological damage to the MBP. Significant, extended exposure to windows in any form, can't be good from a clinical standpoint.

20. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo