Safe to leave PS3 continually on standby?

Discussion in 'Games' started by RMD68, Mar 12, 2007.

1. RMD68 macrumors 6502

As I mentioned in another post I recently purchased a PS3. Its been a lot of fun so far. When you turn off the system via the controller or the button on the console it self it doesn't completely turn off but rather goes into stand by. The only way to completely turn off the system is to flip the switch in the back. Once the switch is flipped you have to get back up to flip it on and you can't just use the controller to wake the system. Since I have odd leep patterns it would be nice to play a quick game without getting up from my bed. However, since I always flip off the switch I can't wake the console from my bed. My question is whether I can safely leave the PS3 in standby mode for long periods of time or if it would be best for the system to turn it completely off (switch and all) when I'm not using it. I hope I made myself clear and was not too long winded for a simple question.

2. nateDEEZY macrumors 6502a

I've had my PS3 in launch and maybe twice I've flipped the switch in the back, and only to move it's location. I've had my PS2 Since it launched and I've always left that in standby as well. Unless your concern is to save energy, I see no problem leaving it on standby.

3. darkwing macrumors 65816

If it wasn't safe to leave in standby, I doubt it would come with that feature. :) Then again, apparently the Wii likes to burn up its GPU during standby so who knows?

I've had my PS3 on standby since I got it on Dec 16th, and it's never even so much as frozen on me. I'm one of the greenest people there is with my energy bill (about 5.5 kw a day) so I don't really care about it being on standby.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I turn mine off physically. Every little tiny bit of power however insiginifacnt it may seem - when combined with millions of other tiny bits of power - saves a huge amount of energy.

We have a huge amount of envrionmental adds running on TV at the moment to tell you to turn everything 'off' fully as an appliance still uses upto 25% of power when left on standby.

This included people leaving mobile phone chargers plugged into the wall and other such waste.

5. thegreatunknown macrumors regular

so I went into a Sony store over the weekend and walked up to the PS3 stand to play it and it wasn't on. I asked the lady who worked there if I could turn it on and she said no, it doesn't work. I asked her what happened and she told me since they leave it on so much the thing overheated and broke. She told me not to worry though because this is not the way normal people use theirs. I looked at her oddly and said "I beg to differ, what about geeks like me who play all the time?" and she just shrugged her shoulders.

anyways, point of my useless story... I'm not so sure you should leave it on all the time.

6. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

i've not experienced any GPU problems leaving my wii on standby.

7. pionata macrumors 6502

SLeep mode is actually safer than on/off switching, it helps to prevent power surges and is less heavy on the motherboard.

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

but not the environment. take responsibility - think of the future ;)

9. themanfromvlad macrumors 6502

themanfromvlad

You bought a PS3 and then preach to others about the environment? Are you serious?

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

err did you see the ;) in my post. :rolleyes:

and how is buying any appliance suddenly negate from a valid comment that items on standby use power which is a waste ?

For the same reason I turn my wii off too from the mains and do not have wii-connect 24 enabled.

11. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Hook it up to a solar panel + batteries for guilt free gaming.

12. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I'll let you know, if they ever release the damn Folding client for PS3.:p

13. darkwing macrumors 65816

Actually the best way to protect your electronics from a line surge is with that physical disconnect switch in back. Or unplug the darn thing. :p

14. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I generally flip the switch off because that little red LED is as bright as the sun in my pitch black room. I like that Sony chucks that in, I need to reach behind my little tv unit to (un)plug my Wii so its little light doesn't shine :(

15. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

I think that if it isnt being used for extended periods of time then turn it off completely/unplug it.. it saves energy and money on electric bill, always a plus.

I agree on cell phone plugs, also compuer plugs :apple: and plugs to consoles, portables suck energy. Speaking of which, *unplugs useless plugs*. Good ideas!:)

16. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Dude that's like telling somebody they should shut up because they own a car. I mean who's family do you know who doesn't have a car? And yet we should still try to conserve the environment.

I don't understand these huge companies like those that make cars. They fight the electric car as if it were the plague, but they don't realise that they too will perish if the environment is destroyed. If they would take some mid level chem classes maybe they would realise what a car actually does to the environment (aka undoing the work of plants done millions of years ago and recreating the primeval atmosphere without oxygen).

17. buffalo macrumors 65816

I wish I could contribute something meaningful to this thread, but alas, I have no PS3.

But if we're going to turn this into a conservation thread...
    *Unplugs cell phone charger that is still in my outlet*
    What's the power consumption of an iMac that's turned on with a screen saver going. I like to have AIM running, so once I get home I like to have the computer powered on and not sleeping. I do put the computer to sleep / turn off at night, so I'm not totally wasting power.

18. aholden12592 macrumors regular

actually turning it on and off would take more energy. similarly, leaving a radio on forever is better because to turn something on and then off takes a lot of power

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I know that part of that is true, but still, evidence?

It's not that big a deal here. My bro leaves his 360 on for downloads (suuuuuper slow connection), but we have solar panels and a mini wind turbine powering (parts of) the house.

20. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Actually it depends on the appliance...fluorescent lights- some you should always turn off and some of the older ones you should not turn off unless
    you will not reuse them within an hour or two. The power to boot up a Mac is much greater than a radio!!!

I would leave on stand-by if using again soon, but turn off to conserve power. There is actually quite a bit of talk about how much our appliances use stand-by power and how much it is adding up. Out Tv's, VCR's, DVD players, etc. are all using Stand-by power...most have led lights that tell you they are. It is a waste- I can see where a memory is needed such as tv programming, etc but realistically I don't use anything but channel 3 and Input so why do I need it to remember anything!!!~

I wish I had a ps3:( to conserve power with!:D

21. RMD68 thread starter macrumors 6502

With the state of present technology and the efficiency of those things just leaving on the Xbox for downloads probably negated the gain of the green energy. LoL, just playin.

Staying green and energy efficient aside what is the consensus on leaving the system on standby for the systems sake. Will it reduce the overall life or could just turning it off for work/school and then leaving it on standby while I'm home so I can use it be a good idea?

22. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I think it depends on whether you keep your PS3 in a small plastic enclosure while you play. ;)

23. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

OTOH, maybe it was really an Xbox360, and not a PS3 at all...;)

24. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

The manual says the system is off in stand by as indicated below.

My only question is this- is the "start up" time the same no matter whether you use the stand by method or the manual switch to turn on the PS3?

If they are the same then I would say leave in stand by when using shortly, off other times. If stand by is shorter then it is more like sleeping a computer than rebooting and then I think it would make a big difference on the life of the machine- if that was true I would leave in stand by mode much more often since booting up a machine is one of the hardest things you can do to a piece of electronics.

Attached Files:

25. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

But as soon as you flip the switch at the back of the machine the red light comes on. So is it suddenly now in standby? Therefore boot up process would be identical if you turned it off or left in standby.

It takes exaclty the same amount of time to boot both ways. (which is only a few seconds anyway...)