Resolved Safe to mail IPhone 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 4GLTE lover, Jun 16, 2013.

?

Mail or take to Apple store 88.1 miles away??

1. Mail IPhone 4S to Apple

13 vote(s)
    56.5%
  2. Take IPhone 4s to Apple store 88.1 miles away

10 vote(s)
    43.5%
  1. 4GLTE lover, Jun 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2013

macrumors member

Recently the Wi-Fi option on my phone has greyed out and Apple says I could send my phone in for a replacement or take it to an Apple store...Since the only Apple store near me is 88.1 miles away I thought it would be easier to mail it. But they said if they received it damaged it would be charged to my credit card. My question here is this, if I mail my phone in to Apple to let them replace it would it be safe on the way to delivery?? Like hitting bumps in the truck, accidents, or them claiming they didn't receive it anything like that. I have never mailed anything to them before and I'm nervous, as I am under a contract and don't have $500 laying around. Maybe I'm just being extra cautious or nervous I don't know.

2. macrumors member

I'd say you would be fine by mailing it. Just make sure to pack it with lots of bubble wrap or whatever. You may also want to pay for shipping insurance for extra piece of mind.

Kevin

3. thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help but I'm going to leave this thread as unresolved to see others votes. Because I'm kind of nervous about mailing it.

4. macrumors G3

How quick do you want your phone replaced. That should determine whether you mail it or drive it to Apple.

5. thread starter macrumors member

As soon as possible which would take longer??

6. macrumors G3

In theory driving it to the store is faster as they should replace the phone on the spot, but you should make sure they have a replacement in stock.

7. thread starter macrumors member

About how long would it take if I were to mail it into Apple??

8. macrumors member

Don't mail it! I have my own horror story from this. Although I live in a fairly urban area near an Apple store, I wanted to send my device to Amazon for trade-in. They were giving me a GREAT deal! Well, when I handed the phone to the ups Driver, he chucked I felt the bubble wrap slide off before he chucked it into the back of the truck. :eek: Amazon refuses to acknowledge my claim and after the phone arrived, it's been sitting in the "mystery merchant's" warehous for OVER A WEEK!! Now, even though Apple isn't Amazon, I would feel much more comfortable actually driving it to the Apple store so you can follow it's path all the way to getting it back. Just my opinion.

9. thread starter macrumors member

Thank you so much!! I will definitely take it myself!

10. macrumors 604

cynics

Just pack it really well. I mail much more sensitive things then iPhones quite often. Just have to pack it right.

11. macrumors 6502

bubble wrap it and put it in a small flat rate box.

you might as well learn how to ship, its not hard

12. macrumors 601

PNutts

Pad it well and insure it and you'll be fine. What they are telling you is a standard disclaimer and people try to pull fast ones by sending in pieces and saying it was fine when they mailed it.

13. macrumors 6502a

Assuming you are in the United States, why not just insure it for $550?

14. macrumors regular

If you want, you can get express replacement. They send you a new replacement phone first, so you won't be without a phone for weeks, and then you can send the old phone back in the box they used to send you the replacement phone. Just stuff those materials they used to protect the phone back into the box, so you can be sure it has enough protection to survive the journey to apple.

I have done this with apple multiple times and never had a problem.

15. macrumors regular

Geesh...just package it properly, buy insurance, and mail it. How do you think they get to the store in the first place? Or to your house if you order it from apple.com?

16. macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Safe to mail IPhone 4S

Get insurance if the package gets lost. I have gotten a lost package recently that usps lost that had a replacement case in it and it had attacking number. Its been processed from a week now.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

17. macrumors 6502

18. macrumors 6502a

19. macrumors 68040

Millions of iPhones and other electronics more expensive than iPhones are mailed every year. Not a big deal.

20. macrumors 601

If you're worried then use FedEx or UPS (or some other traceable shipping method) and get the device insured.

Polling's not the way to answer your question. You need to make the call based on your preferences. Do you want easier or faster? Answer that and you'll have your answer.

Delivery times available on the site of the shipping companies. You can easily figure out how quickly you can cover 88 miles in each direction.

21. macrumors regular

CrimsonKnight

22. macrumors 68010