Safe to Use iPod Nano in non-Standard Dock for Long Periods of Time?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by cleanup, Nov 14, 2005.

1. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

Is it safe to leave the iPod nano standing unsupported in a non standard dock (in my case, the mini dock) for long periods of time? I could just buy a nano dock, but I already have two iPod mini docks.

I use one of the docks as a charging/alarm clock station. I have the dock plugged into some powered speakers that flank my bed, so I wake up to music that I like, not some DJ talking on the radio.

As such, the iPod has to be sitting in the dock all night, or a period of about seven or eight hours.

Is it safe to leave the iPod nano sitting unsupported like that? Or should I invest in a universal dock?

2. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

Also, is it possible to tell whether I'm purchasing a first or second batch iPod through the serial numbers (the batch with the hardened screen surface and included case)?

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The nano really should be fine in a non-nano dock, the only foreseeable problem being if you knock it you may accidentally break the connector on the dock.

As for the batch number thing, sorry but no idea. My guess is that you'll get the second batch considering the rate these things are selling, but that's merely a guess. :)

4. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

i don't knoe about the batch thing but does it matter?

5. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

... See the parentheses?

6. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

huh?

7. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

From the Dashboard Dictionary widget:

a word, clause, or sentence inserted as an explanation or afterthought into a passage that is grammatically complete without it, in writing usually marked off by curved brackets, dashes, or commas.
    • (usu. parentheses) one or both of a pair of marks ( ) used to include such a word, clause, or sentence.
    • an interlude or interval : the three months of coalition government were a lamentable political parenthesis.

8. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

"(the batch with the hardened screen surface and included case)?"

Ummm...sorry this doesn't exist. You must be dreaming. I think if you had this "revision" you'd have the case to you'd know. If Apple had hardened the screen officially there would be a recall.