Safest/Most Dangerous US Cities

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by gwuMACaddict, Nov 21, 2005.

1. iGav macrumors G3

I thought Boston had a high murder rate??? actually I'm maybe thinking of Baltimore. :confused: hmmmmm.

I've only heard of 7 of the bottom 10... though I didn't think St. Louis was supposed to be all that unsafe, nor New Orleans.

Interesting.

Is Camden, N.J. a dump then???

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Baltimore is infested with drugs.

Camden is a dump.

3. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Hmm... what are the criteria exactly? Your chances of being a victim of crime, being involved in a fatal car accident, being killed in a natural disaster... or have they considered everything that could reasonably be a hazard to life or limb?

4. iGav macrumors G3

being shot I would've thought.

5. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

They usually base these studies on "violent crime" like robbery and murder - but some cities get listed as "dangerous" when in fact they are mostly safe cities with a few really bad neighborhoods that most travelers and residents avoid anyway.

6. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Its based on percentadge of how many crimes commited vs total number of citizens. 10 crimes in a city of 1 million is safer than a city with 10 crimes of 500 thousand.

7. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Wow, Denver, or at least it's suburbs didn't make it. I'm shocked! :eek:

8. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

If I remember correctly, Baltimore was the VD capital of the US just a few years ago. :eek: My brother used to live right south of downtown Baltimore, just a half-mile or so from Camden Yards... now he lives in Raleigh. My Dad and sister are still in Maryland (Annapolis and Severna Park).

9. gwuMACaddict thread starter macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

clay, i think you're right. the joke i always hear is that everyone has/eats crabs ;) :p :D

pretty sure that DC has the highest AIDS rate per capita though...

10. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Now, see, I'd always heard that New Orleans had the highest (or among the highest) per capita homicide rates, so I was surprised to see it that low in the list. Of course, there's no telling exactly what criteria they used to determine "safest" versus "most dangeous".

Woohoo, my wife's from Birmingham. She will be so pleased to hear that it made the top 10 (although it's not a surprise).

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Small wealthy cities are safer than large, poor cities.

Film at 11.

12. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

detroit, richmond, st louis, and new orleans...i have seen those on many a list besides the list on your link

alexandria, va, washington dc, kansas city, and new haven, ct are usually on many a list, too

i have seen phoenix, believe it or not, make a dangerous list one year

san jose near me, while not safe per se, is safe for a city of nearly a million people, but there are terrible neighborhoods within the city and san jose people laugh when some survey calls the city the safest big city in america ;)

if any sized city could make the list, a case could be made for east palo alto

while atlanta, on the list, is dangerous it is known for a city that has black on black violence yet has the best white-black relations of any major city in the south

san francisco did not make the most dangerous list, but since it is a very small city in terms of geographical size, good and bad neighborhoods are literally blocks from each other and when i was younger and more foolhardy, i used to walk through several neighborhoods on foot thinking they were all safe because i parked in a so called safe neighborhood

13. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

New Haven might be getting safer, but Hartford is maintaining its dangerous ranking! Expanded rankings buried in an ugly graphic halfway through this article ...

Link

14. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

new haven? how so? FGSPM? (fewer gunshots per minute)

15. ibook30 macrumors 6502a

ibook30

Eighth Safest City ?

8. Round Rock, Texas

This surprises me. ROund Rock is just north of Austin, and has several Dell facilities. You'd think with all that Dell around people would lean towards more violence... well good for them. :D

16. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

LOL St. Louis is 3rd most dangerous?

Give me a break!

17. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Not all VDs. If I remember right, it is only syphillys. Where by Camden was your brother? I guess right south would have put him in Federal Hill. I don't know if it is only violent crime or both violent and non-violent. Mayor O'Mally has been in charge during a small dip in the non-violent but a resurgence in violent. Based on only violent, I think B'more would have been ranked higher.

18. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

why? do you think it's safer, or more dangerous and deserves the #1 or #2 spot?

you have good sports teams and i still do not forgive you guys for stealing our state's rams (formerly of los angeles, ca), just when they were starting to show hope...of course, the rams won the superbowl while in your town, and our slugger mark mcgwire broke the all time home run record while with your cardinals, and not my A's...oh well

what's next, barry bonds leaving the sf giants and going to the cardinals to break aaron's record?...while barry is going to beat aaron eventually, what he needs is a ring, and the most viewers of mlb.com seem to think that the cardinals are the next big baseball dynasty through the next ten years winning divisions, pennants, and hopefully world series rings ;)

19. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I'm shocked Durham, NC isn't in there.. this place is dangerous as hell.

Beyond that, this should be taken with a grain of salt, as there's 0 indication of what they're basing this off of, and what is included (or excluded) to make a place "safe" or "unsafe". Could be that Newton, MA is the petty crime capital of the US.. but they're only doing felonious crimes.

Also..

10. Cary, N.C. -- Yuppiest Town in NC.

20. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

actually, he he, the most dangerous city anywhere in the world in any given 24 hour period of time is where agent jack bauer happens to be (downtown los angeles, secret bad guy hideout in orange county, or cartel drug headquarters in tiajuana, mexico)

21. Kup macrumors member

I don't know, as ghetto as the "D" is, I still think that Flint is worse. Just like the Dayton Family says. Should have been a 1,2 Michigan sweep.

22. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

I was just in St Louis for a conference and i must say crime was all over. There just under 5000 attendees and it was reported that over 18 incidents of theft and battery happened around the convention center. I was approached by no fewer than 15 panhandlers on my route to the hotel 3/4 mile away. I can see how this would give a bad impression and how it could escalate to crime.

Crime is ranked per capita so if St Louis is a smaller city, but has a high number of crimes per capita it can rank worse (higher) than a large city like LA.

23. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

And now, a rebuttal

Camden, NJ replies to the Morgan-Quitno report: "Take back what you said, or we'll freaking kill you." ;)

24. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I wondered if this was facetious, as St. Louis has had a bad rep for crime for a very, very, very long time.