Said goodby to my iPhone 5

Discussion in 'Wasteland' started by Macgeekster, Nov 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macrumors newbie

Jul 3, 2012
    So today I finally got annoyed enough with my Verizon iPhone 5 that I returned it. Yes, it's thinner and lighter as well as with LTE thus a faster web browsing experience, but it has its quirks also.
    The battery life was not even as good as my almost 2 yr old iPhone 4.
    May it be the iOS update, but for the last week and a half the phone would freeze randomly and the camera occasionally went nuts.
    So I went back to my iPhone 4. Maybe I will look into the next iPhone release, but unfortunately this wasn't it.- I know, I may be the only one :/
  2. macrumors 6502a

Aug 11, 2009
    How long did you own your particular iPhone?
    You see the battery on the iPhone 5 as with all iPhones, need to get used to longterm use. In fact the battery life should gradually increase over the first few months of use.
    This is why people tell you to charge it to a 100% and use it until it dies a few times. It WILL extend battery life.
    I can't seem to replicate your camera problems though, enjoy your iPhone 4.
  3. macrumors Nehalem

Apr 16, 2008
    At the iPhone hacks section.
    Hope it works out for you then.
    How is it always people with 1-2 posts that post threads like these?
    Ok everyone bye. I'm leaving the iPhone 5 sucks etc...
    Goodbye then:)
  4. macrumors regular

Jun 24, 2012
  5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 3, 2012
    I don't normally get on these sites to post. I was simply making a post to state that, unlike many (I suppose), I was unhappy with the new version of the iPhone. No big deal.

I had the phone for about 5 weeks. Battery life seemed to only get worse. Always charged to 100% and let drain to about 5% before recharging.
    Didn't mean to cause an issue. I'm sure the iPhone 5 is great for most people, but, to me, wasn't worth the hype. I am a huge apple fan, too!
    Anyway, I will probably still post on the forum since I still do have an iPhone, ipad, iPod, and MacBook.
  6. macrumors Nehalem

Feb 19, 2005
    Awesome balls. Maybe the iPhone 5s will be good for you but probably not.
  7. macrumors 68020

Jun 29, 2012
    Colorado Springs USA for now
    Yours could of been added to any number of threads on the exact same topic. Glad you're happy.
  8. macrumors 6502

Sep 19, 2012
    I thought the same thing with the battery life on my iPhone 5 compared to my 2 year old iPhone 4. That was until I read about calibrating the battery meter on the iPhone 5.

I think the most appropriate comparison is with the fuel gauges in some cars where the meter reading is non-linear. In other words the rate at which it drops is not necessarily related to the amount left in the tank.

On my iPhone 5 the battery would seemingly drop 10% within an hour or two of unplugging it even though it was doing NOTHING. The iPhone 5's meter would appear to dip dangerously low by mid afternoon whereas on my iPhone 4 I would only be at 50% with the same useage.

This was all until I followed the recommendations I saw here on the forums. First I charged the iPhone 5 to 100%. Then I ran it down past all of the battery life warnings with streaming video until it went to 0% and shut itself down. I noticed that the last few percent seemed to last a really, really, really long time. Then I charged it back up to 100%.

Now, post calibration the battery meter is much more linear and I get just as much if not more battery life as my old iPhone 4.
  9. macrumors 68000

Aug 25, 2011
    I had the iPhone 4 on verizon and now the iPhone 5. Although the 4 was good, it's a dog compared to the 5. LTE, better camera, faster, faster wifi speeds, better screen, and of course, better battery. Night and day.
  10. macrumors 68020

Jun 17, 2009
    Chicago, IL area
    Thanks for updating us! I stopped my Christmas shopping to read this?
  11. macrumors regular

Jun 18, 2010
  12. macrumors regular

Nov 19, 2012
    My experience mirrors yours. My first two days was filled with buyer's remorse cuz of battery life. After cycling, it was fine.
  13. Radiating, Nov 27, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2012

macrumors 65816

Dec 29, 2011
    You had a deffective model. You don't judge a car by how it performs when it's been hit with a sledgehammer and you don't judge a deffective phone as an example for the rest.

Regarding the battery life, several people have had issues with with a bug in the battery life including myself where you need to reset certain settings or restore as new. My iPhone 5 had terrible battery life before I did this and now it has identical battery life to my 4S. This is a VERY common issue. The iPhone 5 and iPhone 4/4S should have nearly identical battery life being that they have nearly identical battery size and tested battery life in virtually all situations.

Simply put your reaction to the situation was illogical and flawed.
  14. macrumors 6502a

Oct 25, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    5 weeks and you were able to return it? Please tell me how you managed that?
  15. macrumors 68040

Jul 7, 2010
    Bay Area
    Could have returned it and gotten another one.
  16. macrumors member

Jul 15, 2009
    Statistically speaking someone will always end up with an ip5 that is a lemon.
  17. Applejuiced, Nov 27, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2012

macrumors Nehalem

Apr 16, 2008
    At the iPhone hacks section.
    That might indicate something about this thread...
  18. macrumors member

Feb 11, 2007
    I have had great battery life , way longer then sg3 that I had before iPhone 5 came out.
  19. macrumors 6502a

Oct 14, 2008
    No gadget is perfect, we all get what works for us. Me, I love my iPhone 5! It's fast in Verizon's LTE network, it has an amazing camera, and my battery life has been way better than my 4 ever was. I'm a very happy user, but to each their own. Like someone said, though, would love to know how you took it back after 5 weeks. Return policy is either 30 days or 14, depending in where you got it no think someone is exaggerating!
  20. macrumors newbie

Oct 24, 2012
    I'm satisfied with my ip5's battery life and the good thing about it was it also charges fast! so no big deal for me :)
  21. macrumors 6502

Oct 17, 2009
    I feel sorry that you went from LTE to verizons garbage that they call 3g. Other then that, you should have reset all settings and let the battery fully drain to where it shuts itself off and then do a full recharge.
  22. macrumors 6502a

May 3, 2011
    Perhaps your battery life sucked because you were using it motr
  23. macrumors 65816

Mar 1, 2011
    OP, let us know when you decide to rebuy the iPhone 5.
  24. macrumors 6502

Jul 29, 2010
    And in other threads we have people returning 10, 15, 20 iphones because they weren't
  25. macrumors 68020

Mar 11, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.