Saint Louis Marathon!!!!

Discussion in 'Community' started by mkrishnan, Apr 11, 2005.

1. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I know we have some St. Lunatics here on the board, so did anyone else here run the St. Louis Marathon? This was my first marathon ever. I had such a blaaaaast! :) And I finished! :D

2. kg9ov macrumors member

Well, I didn't run in the marathon. But, considering your location says Florida, I hope you didn't run to St. Louis to participate. :D

-Tony

3. iGary Guest

iGary

Nope, haven't marked Missouri off my list yet.

Doing Big Sur in a couple of weeks, though. ;)

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That is an accomplishment of which you should be very proud. What was your time? The Boston Marathon is next Monday, it's on Patriots Day. So the closet that I come is that my wife volunteers in the medical tent. This will be her 5th year.

An interesting story on last years Boston Marathon. A man was part of a fund raising group. He fractured his hip at mile 24. Needless to say he has been through surgery and rehabilitation. His group has been training again for this year. So with his group he has finally finished the 2004. He said, "I proudly finish the 2004 officially coming in last."

5. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I've run in some of the SnowBird Series races in St. Louis, 15K and 10K, but not the St. Louis Marathon. They used to run the St. Louis using the original marathon course of the '04? Olympics. Don't know if that's still the case. If they do, it's pretty hilly.
    X

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

7. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

My time was 4:19...well, at least I ran. ;) While I was waiting for a friend, a couple of men came through the finish line, rockin 68 and 69 years of young age, respectively. We went crazy cheering for them. :D The race went downtown around the brewery area, Wash U, by the history museum and through that big park that's over there. There were some hills, but not too bad. Around mile 20, there was a long stretch of headwind, into the sun, up hill, and I thought dying seemed very nice at that point! :eek:

Wdlove -- thanks! :) That story about Boston is so inspiring! I want to run a couple more this year possibly.... I don't think Boston will be one of them, though! ;)

iGary, are you really on the 50-states program? That would be sweeeet! How many states have you done? I would like to officially join the program with one state down! :p

8. iGary Guest

iGary

Be happy - I was ecstatic when I broke 4:30 in Philadelphia this past fall.

Yes, I'm trying to do all 50 states, but I keep repeating ones I like (like Big Sur - a must do if you are a marathoner) so I'm not making progress like I should.

Big Sur will be my tenth next week! :D

9. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So I'll ask the obvious question...is there another marathon in Massachussetts? :D

Because otherwise, I will have to maintain my present speed until I am 70 to qualify for Boston! :eek:

But ten marathons is an accomplishment no matter how fast or slow you run. I think I want to do another one mid-summer, possibly one of the Cali ones. What makes Big Sur so special?

EDIT: I just googled for the Big Sur marathon website, and the picture on the front page answered all my questions. My God! :eek:

10. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Falmouth has a road race which is on Cape Cod. See link below.

http://sblifalmouthroadrace.com/

11. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Thanks, wdlove! :) I guess I have a while before I need to worry about how to check Mass off my list. ;)

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Today is Patriot's Day here in Boston. 1775, Paul Revere began his famous ride from Charlestown to Lexington, MA, warning American Colonists that the British were coming. It's the 109th Boston Mararthon. My wife is volunteering for her 6th Mararthon as a nurse, she is in the medical tent.

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/bostonmarathon/index.html