Saints Row(Xbox 360).. Rip off of Grand Theft Auto

Discussion in 'Games' started by Archmagination, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Archmagination macrumors regular

It looks like a very intriguing and awsome game, but the more I read about it the more and more it sounded like Grand Theft Auto... anybody else think so to?

Saints Row

2. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

I've played the demo and it's exactly like GTA except you can customize your character

3. MS bulldog macrumors regular

is it a ripoff if its exponentially better, or is it just adding much needed improvement to an existing genre and improving gameplay/mechanics at the same time?

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Good question. If the game is better than GTA "forget Vice City, it's Bug City" then maybe it will kick Rockstar into sorting out their own games.

5. macg4 macrumors 6502a

macg4

well after reading this , might have to give it a try

6. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

Well, there is no GTA for 360 yet, correct? If not, then this is simply fufilling a demand rockstar has not yet filled...

7. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

the keyword is "yet"... Rockstar definitely has their eye on SR and for good reason. This game is the closest competition to GTA but I believe people will forget about it once the next installment of Rockstar's popular series is released for the 360.

8. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

Well, for a ripoff it seems to lack a certain sense of humor and reality that the GTA series had. Like why are all the gangmembers in each faction so glaringly multi-ethnic? It's like it's trying not to be stereotypical while at the same time coming across as a McDonald's ad. In GTA you have the Yakuza, the Italians, Cubans, etc. It's seemingly plausable these people would band together...as these factions exist in real life.

I'm really trying not to be racist, or make generalities, but from the gangs I've seen in my real life, they look nothing like the "Saints" gang in the demo.

Gameplay-wise, the demo part of the city is pretty cool. Kind of wierd to play it after doing Dead Rising, because you want to pick everything up and use it as a weapon...it would have been neat if GTA4 does something similar. GTA-clone or not, it's an enjoyable genre and I look forward to seeing it grow and for GTA to get some competition and innovate.

9. Fotograffiti macrumors member

I thought the demo was pretty fun and it is definitely an improvement over GTA graphically. The explosions are some of the best I have seen for a game like this. It does borrow heavily from GTA but this is not a bad thing. My one annoyance with it is the fact that it seems to try too hard in some areas to be edgy, like the name of the restaurant (Frecklebitch's) and the drive thru menu items in the demo. Also the things yell at you when you are driving around get a little old but overall I think the game will be really fun especially if they can do the multiplayer right, which is something GTA should have capitalized on.

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yes it's GTA, but with GTA 4 more than a year away - its welcome...

I really like the demo.

The physics model in the game is amazing.

Heres an example : I shot out the wheels of a car, it came screeching to me, I jumped on the bonet, smashed a window, threw in a pipe bomb and jumped off. It contuned with the passenger & driver screaming until it exploded, with their bodies flying out of the window and landed one wrapped around a lampost and the other ontop of an old woman... It was spectacular.......

The streets are awash with variety compared to gta (people, cars, textures)
    Graphically it's excellent at 1920x1080i and was for me REALLY smooth (some have complained about Frame Rate when played in Standard Definition strangely)

Being able to recruit a friend to come along with you,
    Chance of doing this online LIVE with your own sub gang... AWESOME

It's fixed problems with all the GTA's Aiming and firing / fighting is so much better..

As a homage to GTA it's almost flawless surprised they haven't been sued, and it DOES push the benchmark that GTA 4 has to reach even higher.

11. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

It's funny, I played GTA Vice City on my Xbox and my wife thought it was "cute" but a little disturbing with the violence.

I downloaded Saints Row and had a completely different reaction. I think it was the "Ho" mission that pushed her over the edge. She stated there was no way that game would be played in our house. :)

The interesting thing is that I couldn't stand Saints Row. Maybe its because I have two children now, or whatever, but I found Saints Row to be juvenile and pandering. There's no way I'd buy this game in a million years.

It's interesting to see the people fawning over it, though. Massive turn off for me, but I suspect I'm not the target market (35).

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Your probably right and age is a factor. (get yer zimmer out old man ;) )

As with GTA3/Vice/San Andreas. I prefer just going around experimenting with the stuff you can do with these type of games, more than actually doing the written / set objectives.

Yes it is juvenile, but like a fart joke - there's always room for one in your repertoire :)

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Aye, the sandbox game. I downloaded a 100%ed San Andreas save game before even starting the game, just so I could run riot in this grand world. GTA4 should be incredible, take GTA, add more people, more things to do and happening at once (we love you 3*CPU) and the virtual world's your oyster.

14. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

Its very very similar. But I think the graphics are way better. I dunno, I wasn't as crazy impressed with it as many other people are.

15. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

This game is the carbon of GTA but its has so much improvements to it.....aiming is much better and you can customize your character but GTA have to be ready for things like this...maybe they will up their game for the next gen.

We won't see a GTA until the PS3 is ready so rockstar can please both Sony and MS.

Bless

16. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

Yeah lawl. when I saw the front cover for the game I was thinkin of Malibu's Most Wanted. They wish they wuz streets cuz they aint. they just posers. I swear, sometimes diversity in gaming is sometimes a little ridiculous.

17. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Yep very similar to GTA but with inprovements.

If it's superior it should give rockstar incentive to improve.

You can bet rockstar is watching saints for feature ideas and to see peoples reaction.

18. The_Man macrumors 6502

The_Man

I have played the Demo on the 360, overall it was alright. It was about the old GTA series, except on a next gen console. The graphics were a little better and the gameplay was roughly the same. You can customize your character, but its not that big of a deal. It is pretty much a complete GTA ripoff. It is obvious. From the radio stations to the wanted meter, its all pretty much the same. It just has the advantage of having the power and space of a high performance console, but little innovation.
    GTA will blow this imitation out of the water when it comes out.

19. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Imitation done this well is the sincerist form of flattery, and whats wrong with doing a carbon clone 'gameplay wise' of a AAA title and adding new stuff and features, physics etc... with GTA4 more than a year away, is it any reason to complain really?

Surely someone looking for a next gen hardware version of GTA NOW should look nowhere else.

20. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

So, I just got Saints Row today, and it's awesome. Yes, it's a GTA ripoff, but it improves on many things. The only thing that really bugs me is that its like GTA3, where your character doesn't have a name or speak. Oh well, not a big deal

21. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

The game has been very well received. Magazines & online it has been getting very good reveiws and it is doing great stuff at retail.... :)

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

This and Dead Rising are 2 reasons why I want a 360. Bring me another silly GTA, fix it up and we're onto something.

23. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

I played the demo, and I wasn't that impressed. The graphics are way better than GTA, but I am kind of over the GTA series. AMAZING games, don't get me wrong, just don't have the time right now for them.

24. huck500 macrumors 6502

huck500

It's a great game, but the massive tearing is really distracting to me. I'm starting to think that no one else is experiencing this, because no one says anything about it. Whenever I rotate the camera, especially inside, the screen basically tears in half, it seems really bad to me. No other game does this anywhere near as badly...in fact, the just cause demo, which also has a huge world, runs rock solid.

Anyone else having the v-sync issue?

I wish console games would give the option of turning down the graphical settings to improve framerate like a PC... I'd much rather have a steady framerate than bleeding-edge graphics.

25. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I bet you are using VGA cable. The tearing only seems to be prevalent when using this connection, same thing happens in dead rising etc..

Connect via component and at 720p or 1080i there is NO tearing in the exact same scenes...

Hopefully its an issue that can be addressed in the next big software/dashboard update...