Saints Row

Discussion in 'Games' started by DougTheImpaler, Oct 10, 2006.

1. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

Anybody played this? I looked for a thread and couldn't find it.

Picked it up last weekend. It's pretty awesome, better than GTA for the most part. The toughest thing is IMO is that the movement is much like a FPS on console, using both sticks, and it takes a bit of practice. LOL

2. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

I actually just beat it last night. I'm all about mission-based games (especially those that incorporate worlds like GTA or Saints Row), and was disappointed that when I finished the final mission, my progress was only at 66%. I'm not about to sit there stealing cars again and again just to bring it up to 100%... I think it would have been nice to have reached that point with the completion of the final level.

Nevertheless, it's a good game. Pretty enjoyable, I'd say. I actually enjoy the movement, especaily the on-foot movement in comparison to GTA. Much more natural to target and run IMO.

Now that I'm done with it, I'm just waiting impatiently for the next Splinter Cell... Only a week away....

3. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Yeah, hard to believe Splinter Cell is coming out next week, I just hope the demo hits XBL soon.

As far as Saints Row goes, I really liked it. It gets rid of a lot of the stuff that makes GTA boring, like having to recollect your weapons and run around if you fail a mission.

One thing I do hate about Saints Row is the lack of v-sync, the tearing you get when you scroll left to right quickly.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I got an email from Ubi today telling me they wont send me my free copy of Splinter Cell - Double Agent until it's actually released at retail. bummer... :( oh well still free :D

5. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Okay, I'll bite...:rolleyes:

Whyyyyy are you getting a free copy?

6. DougTheImpaler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I figured the percentage it was showing me was not including all the secret stuff. I've done a ton of missions (mostly Vice Kings missions) and only have like 18% done.

The only complaint I have is that you *have* to do side stuff to get enough respect to open up regular storyline missions.

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I won a ubi sponsored GRAW comp. Now I have to go into another final with supposed SC- DA on 14th november to win a trip to Montreal to see the developers working on Assasins Creed again all sponsored by Ubisoft obviously. Only if they arent shipping the game till retail it doesnt give huge amount of time to practice on it..... we had months with GRAW.... oh well - free games are always nice...

Back to Saints Row... Anyone download the marketplace content. is it worth 100 points?

8. Sinsinnati macrumors regular

Sinsinnati

Is there a Mac version of this game or are you guys just talking about a console game?

9. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

A console game, very much in the vein of GTA, except that Jack Thompson doesnt seem to care about this one

10. DougTheImpaler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Xbox 360

11. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Can someone tell me what the attraction is to these kinds of games? I mean, I hate GTA (yes, I've played a few of them), and anything that is in this genre (including 50 Cent's piece of crap) just makes me wonder what kidn of taste the gaming community really has. Dealing drugs, raping/killing hookers... I know, it's just a video game, but these things are turn offs for me in real-life, so advocating it by playing a game that not only condones, but supports it baffles me.

And I really tried to enjoy these types of games, but the monotony and boredom seeped in within the first couple of hours in each installment I played.

12. tjcampbell macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

Damn fun game! Just picked it up last friday and I've been loving it since. I've got an optical hook up to a 5.1 THX system and the game kicks. Looks damn well on the HD projector too. A very fun game that harness the 1080i resolution of my set up. Waaay better than GTA. Never liked that series. * Game did freeze up on me once. But that's likely the machine.