Salary of a Starbucks Barista/Cashier

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Hummer, Oct 15, 2006.

1. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

Anyone know their salary?

I wanted to get a job just to earn enough for a sidekick 3 and then quit. I don't want to be working forever and/or really hard at that, so I decided to ask for an application at the starbucks right near near my school. I can work for 3 hours after school and 8 hours on the weekends. I was just wondering if I would quickly save up 300 bucks.

2. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i have no clue to what they make.
    my question is why do u want a sidekick?

3. Hummer thread starter macrumors 65816

Hummer

Unlimited AIM, MSN, Yahoo, and full web pages on the go. I currently have verizon and I can't stand their watered down phones (plus they have no unlimited data and text package for regular phones like "the V" and the smart phones are too expensive). 1 dollar a day for unlimited texting and stuff is pretty good.

4. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

Lmao! HOw about keeping the job to pay the bill. The sidekick plan adds about 30 extra dollars to the price of a regular plan, no?

Thats pretty tho, getting a job just for a sidekick and then quitting.:D

5. Hummer thread starter macrumors 65816

Hummer

I'm actually using their prepaid service as I'm not old enough to sign the contract for a plan.

6. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

oooh I didnt know they had a prepaid service....
    *goes to check it out

7. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

You could save 300 pretty quickly, but you don't want to work for a company JUST to save up for ONE product...it doesn't look good on a resume, and the company will 1) not likely hire you ever again and 2) definitely not give you positive references (which are important when looking for a job)

I'd say, get a job - and keep it - and enjoy your new Sidekick :)

8. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Um ... so, you need to realize I'm saying this while biting my tongue.

Life = working forever and really hard at that.

Those who around you, and all those who support you = working forever and really hard at that.

Such that:

Working forever and really hard at that =

9. calculus Guest

calculus

Is a barista someone who has been called to the coffee bar?:)

10. Hummer thread starter macrumors 65816

Hummer

Well for one, I could just lay around and not work at all, begging my parents to buy me one. I actually want to work to get it on my own. I don't want to work forever during school. I still have my studies to deal with and I can wait till after I get my diploma to start working a full time job forever.

The barista is the one that makes the drinks at starbucks.

11. calculus Guest

calculus

Er...I know that.

12. Hummer thread starter macrumors 65816

Hummer

:p oh I thought you were actually asking what a barista was, sorry.

13. calculus Guest

calculus

No. It was a joke (barista / barrister)

14. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I've never seen someone who is under 18 working behind the counter at star bucks ... I don't think it would work out that well.

15. Rickay726 macrumors 6502

Rickay726

One of my bestfrineds works at a starbucks, i no he got a raise and is making 8.35 an hour, plus about 50 dollars in tips a week, it really depends on how busy your starbucks is, but why would you quit after making 300 dollars, what about the payments u need to make per month on the S3 i have one and i no it cost me a preety penny.

oh and also im preety sure u dont become a bartista right when hired

they give you this huge ass book and you have to memorize every drink.

and you also need to get bar certified idk what that means i just know my friend had to do it

however if your not looking to stay wiht the company for a long time i dont recomend it. perhaps you would rather go into retail or maybe a grocery store? something that wouldnt require so muhc training so you just dont quit

16. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

That book is a b**** to get through, too. Plan on working for Starbucks for at least a month or so before you can make near 300 bucks (and at least 3-4 weeks before you'll make a single drink). Oh, I do think you need to be 18 as well...

17. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

Working somewhere for only a few weeks wouldn't look good on a future application, now would it?

If you only want to save up for the phone (and what, have your parents pay the bill? personally I think you should pay for your own bill.. that's how it is in my family and that's why I don't have a phone...yet) then try something freelance or do stuff for your neighbors. Babysitting, lawn mowing (or snow-shoveling in a couple months), etc. are examples.... or you can do something with computers for ..someone...

Starbucks wouldn't like you if you leave quickly. What would you say when they ask 'why do you want to work with us?' ? Will you say 'Oh, I just want to get $300 then quit'? I don't think you would.. because they wouldn't hire you.

Oh wow I am rambling. Apologies..

Edit:

I would expect around $5.50 for that job.. at least in my state.. Maybe $6.50

18. Hummer thread starter macrumors 65816

Hummer

Most of the baristas at the starbucks I frequent are 17. I asked them about the ages they usually hire at and my "main" barista said they would hire me.

I'm actually using their prepaid service.

Thanks for the other ideas.

Why would I tell them what I'm doing and lose my potential for getting a job?

Thanks.

Also thanks.

19. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

Why are people so lazy? I started working as soon as the law would let me at 15.5... even then, I got a job at a local grocery store only because the person who I turned the application into was the wife of a friend of my dad. I've been working part time and going to school ever since (not as a grocery bagger though ;) ).

20. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Dude, if you wanna just score some retarded job to make quick $$ for a toy...

Don't go with Starbucks, they want you to learn a ton of crazy ass drinks, deliver pizza's, that's the way to go...

i'm serious

21. amateurmacfreak macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

Just do something like mowing lawns.

May not be well paid, but it's the only thing where you can quit @ $300 and it won't look bad on future applications.

And I can understand not wanting to work while in high school. I don't think I will, once I am old enough to work...

22. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I thought about getting a job at Starbuck's (and other coffee places) so I had a look into it, but the low pay rate put me off. Compared to my other job at the time (in a supermarket) where I was earning around $15.50 p/h, Starbucks was only about $12-13 p/h. Mind you this is in Aussie dollars and the wage markets are slightly different so they may not pay too badly over in the US.

23. jamesmcd macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

I can't understand why people run off to places like Supermarkets, McDonalds, Starbucks etc. when they need a job at a young age. When I was 16 years old, I looked a little harder, and got my first paying job at $13.50 per hour, with a 19% income tax rate.

24. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Because it's pretty easy to get a job at such places and they're often very flexible in terms of the hours you work, which is pretty important when you're a student.

25. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

I understand that you are using the prepaid service, but you still have to pay for it, right?

Most employers are looking for someone reliable who intends to stay for a while. It technically costs them money to hire and train a new employee, so they want to do that as little as possible.