Sales calls push security hotline to refuge of Do Not Call list

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jun 27, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

USA Today

i enjoy the irony that a secret number must now be made public to protect it.

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

You're right... that is some delicious irony.

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The Do Not Call Registry has become a joke anyway. Telemarketers now ring our phone at least once a day with "consumer research surveys," which of course are just thinly-disguised sales calls. Surveys are exempt from the registry. I've gotten really ticked off with these twits and have told them in a loud, and deeply irritated voice to never call me again. They will tell you point-blank that there's no way to get your number removed from their calling lists.

4. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

my "favorite" response when asking them from where they got my number: "the computer".

some years ago, with a bit of "let me talk to your supervisor" effort, i discovered that it was a shell company of my phone provider, Ameritech, who was giving my number to telemarketers (this was pre-DNC registry). in fact, when i called the number of the provider company, the person answered "Ameritech."

i found out that they offered a program by which you can request not to have that feature (the one where they give away your phone number), so i requested it (and the calls i got dropped considerably). i mentioned to the shell company person that i'd never heard of the opt-out program, so i didn't know to ask for it. i was told that no one knows about it, so very few opt-out.

ameritech is now AT&T. i wonder if there's an NSA opt-out program.

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I have heard that one way to get off the calling list is tell them that the person they are asking for is dead.

6. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

there are other ways. i entertain myself by discovering them.

for example, last year i got a call from some "research firm" and she mentioned my wife and children (which i don't have). i started crying and told her that it was the one year anniversery of their deaths in a tragic car accident, and i blamed myself because i wasn't available to drive them.

the "poor" telemarketer didn't really know what to say, except that she was sorry and i'd never hear from again.

hmmm... that involved death, didn't it...

7. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

Since they have yet to pronounce my name correctly, I simply say "wrong number" and hang up. :D

I mean Mr. So&So doesn't live here so I didn't lie, right?

8. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Well, as far as I know, the numbers are generated and called randomly by computer. When someone picks up, the computer transfers to a human. So, yes, they do get the number from a computer.

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Yes, but in a good way -- and not yours, which is always an advantage.

10. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

That works extremely well for me as well, no one ever figures out how to pronounce "szy" to start my last name.

That and they use my full first name, anyone who knows me does not call me by that name....

11. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

is that true, though? for a long time, only a couple of friends had my mobile number, and i never got called there. but my home number is my "official" number, and that's always the target (indeed, the ACLU called while i was writing that).

or is there some kind of mechanism which prevents useage of mobile phones? my mobile is on the DNC registry now, but i still don't get allowed calls on it.

12. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I don't think it's completely random due to the mobile numbers as well. I remember once someone had made the point that (in the U.S.) since you pay for mobile minutes regardless of the call direction telemarketers could not call you on mobile phones. It would almost be like them calling you collect...

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The exchanges set aside for mobile numbers are off limits. It's my understanding that "war dialing" (automatic number sequence dialing) is also illegal, which doesn't mean it isn't done.

14. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    My company's sale's division (along with most) have computers for each rep. Those computers all run a program that pulls data off of a server, and gives a list of numbers for that person to call. So the numbers aren't repeated daily for multiple reps.

They just click the number, then click "call" and the phone is dialed by the computer to that specific number. They generally have all of your information on screen. Then the server kicks that number to the back of the list and eventually it will repeat.

When I did insurance sales (for one day, mind you) they just gave us a paper list of numbers and a phone.

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

No one has posted the Seinfeld thing?

Edit: Also posted by me in this thread.